Shipping a motor

Duramaxduner

Oct 28, 2013
I have to ship a LLY motor to Texas. Does anyone have any advice doing this? Has anyone done it before? I was planning on building a skid for it and bolting it to the skid.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Build it so they can't break it. Heavy duty skid and plywood enclosure. Freight companies love to destroy expensive stuff, so make sure you put insurance on it for the full value in case it goes missing.

Crushed, ****ed, or lost seems to be the moto of the freight industry these days.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Yes build an indestructible skid, bolt the motor down using heavy lag bolts. I threw a couple of band straps around it as well. I used a very heavy duty cardboard box for the sides(heavy forgings were shipped in it) but plywood will work.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I have used Freight quote a few times. I always chose a freight company that has a terminal close by I can drop it off at and save money. I you can ship to a buisness with a fork lift it's a lot cheaper.

turbostang7

Apr 11, 2011
Rexburg Id.
Old Dominion has yet to get one of the mechanics toolbox's here without serious damage. It is almost a known fact if you ship your tools you will get a new box out of the deal. MME isn't any better.
Fed Ex and UPS freight don't seem to be too bad, usually the skid shows up with less damage than the others I've received.
as said before build the box so they can't ruin it. They will still find a way to destroy part of it but it may salvage the engine inside.