Shifter out of sync??

shollz

Feb 10, 2014
Hey guys.

My wife's 03' LB7 was getting random Shift range inhibited messages. Truck had an ATS built trans in it when we bought it.

It would also shift very hard from 1st to 2nd. and every once in a while when you shifted from reverse to drive it will thorw a shift range inhibited message.

First thing I did was change out the NSBU switch. That seems to have cured the hard shifting from 1st to second. But it would still throw a random inhibited message.

So then I decided to put a new ignition module in. I tried to match up the teeth as well as I could on the little gear of the old one. I thought all was well after a test drive. But now it seems like something is out of sync with the gear selector. Sometimes when you go fro Reverse to Drive, it acts like it is still in Neutral and you have to click it down one more gear. other times it works fine in drive. Truck still drives and shifts fine. any suggestions??? did I install the ignition module wrong? also the gear indicator backlight is very dim, in the daylight you cannot see what gear you selected. any fix for this?

Thanks for the help

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Idk about on an Allison but I've accidentally indexed the shifter linkage wrong at the trans and iirc I lost first and all the other gears were in the wrong spot too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shollz

Feb 10, 2014
So she finally stopped driving it enough for me to but it back in the garage tonight. I went under the truck while she moved the shifter through the gears as I watched the NSBU. Looked like it would skip every once in a while. Then I noticed the slotted holes in the NSBU bracket. Loosened the bolts rotated it a bit and tightened back up. Driveway test seemed to check out fine testing it 5 or so times. Hopefully that was the fix.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So she finally stopped driving it enough for me to but it back in the garage tonight. I went under the truck while she moved the shifter through the gears as I watched the NSBU. Looked like it would skip every once in a while. Then I noticed the slotted holes in the NSBU bracket. Loosened the bolts rotated it a bit and tightened back up. Driveway test seemed to check out fine testing it 5 or so times. Hopefully that was the fix.

Adjusting NSBU switch should be done with a tool.

shollz

Feb 10, 2014
I used the metal retainer that came with the new NSBU. Is that different that a specific allison tool?