LB7: Shifter is sloppy and falls out of gear(park)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
My shifter won't stay in park any more. The trans is in park but the shifter falls out and creates some problems when trying to start the truck. The trans is brand new and I'm not getting any shift range inhibited messages. New NSBU switch too.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The slop is in the shifter not the trans. I checked the trans (new) when installing it. Used vice grips with a ray over shift lever it was very firm. The column shifter wiggles all over the place back and forth three to four inches and up and down one to two inches? I searched a lot of sites and this doesn't seem to be a common problem with these trucks.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
There's a spring in the coloum at the base of the shifter that keeps the shifter pushed back(towards dash). I've replaced a couple now cause they have broken. This will cause the tumbler to stay locked ect

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
There's a spring in the coloum at the base of the shifter that keeps the shifter pushed back(towards dash). I've replaced a couple now cause they have broken. This will cause the tumbler to stay locked ect

Pulled it apart tonight, pretty sure that's it^. There's a little lot metal switch in there too, mines broken. Going back together tomorrow.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
let us know how much of a pain it is, i have to do it to mine, and hook my tow haul wire back up. for some reason it is unhooked and hanging out of the boot

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I got the parts from the dealer. I'm now fighting gear selection issues. Goes in reverse when selector is in neutral, also hard to get into park. More adjusting is needed.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I got the parts from the dealer. I'm now fighting gear selection issues. Goes in reverse when selector is in neutral, also hard to get into park. More adjusting is needed.

Disconnect cable from trans and set trans lever in park. Then put the shift lever in park and pull the key out. Make sure wheels are blocked. Now release the cable adjuster with a screw driver ( it is a 2 piece cable). It is next to the frame on driver side. With cable released, connect cable to trans and then lock the relase. You are done.:D