"service brake system" abs Light on parking light flashing with dinger

krys2130

May 14, 2010
Hi I recently had a problem about a month ago with the Service brake system warning on the DIC with a very annoying "ding" every few seconds...so I took it to my father in law's shop and had it scanned it was reading an error in the EBCM so we pulled the fuse and put it back in and the problem went away...then it came back about 2 weeks ago, The ABS light is on and service brake system on the DIC and the parking brake light only comes on with the warning sound "ding" which comes on every 5 seconds or so...I tried pulling the fuse again but this time it did not resolve the problem...I have a 3 and a half hour trip ahead of me and I'd like to fix this before so I don't go crazy listening to that stupid dinger! Any info would be appreciated!!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Can you pull the codes again? That would help us diagnose it. I assume you checked the brake fluid and it was full.

Failing that, you'll have to pull the radio or amplifier fuse (depending on your trim level) to disable the chime. Either way, you won't have tunes for your trip.

That, or you could try pulling the ABS fuse and see if it stops dinging, but then you won't have ABS. Your best bet is to get the code and see what it thinks is wrong.

krys2130

May 14, 2010
I haven't changed the tire size...just happened one day when I started it and now it wont go away...First I'm gonna pull the wire off for that G*d D&mned dinger...it's driving me insane, and then I think I'm gonna check and clean the speed sensors

krys2130

May 14, 2010
Dave, I actually live 3 1/2 hours away from my in-laws shop and I cannot access a scanner where I'm at, so I cannot get the codes...Yes the brake fluid is full I have full braking power just no ABS. and the parking brake light only comes on when the chime comes on...I'm a little stumped

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I know on my 04 it did this to me when the batteries got weak. The brake control module would drop offline while cranking the engine, but it woukd generally reset if I turned the truck off and restarted it. Fill out a signature so we know what truck and any mods you have.

krys2130

May 14, 2010
well it's been like this for two weeks now I tried pulling the ABS fuse but still not working and it does not stop the chime either..guess I'll have to crank up the stereo until I can get it to the shop!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well it's been like this for two weeks now I tried pulling the ABS fuse but still not working and it does not stop the chime either..guess I'll have to crank up the stereo until I can get it to the shop!

you gunna need to pull the codes to get it diagnosed right. try autozone and see if their scanner can get the code (they usually check for free)

krys2130

May 14, 2010
Yeah I live in a very small town in Northern Ontario Canada, I'll have to drive 2 hours to the nearest shop...I'll just have to wait until I get to the In-laws shop and have his mechanic scan it.. Thanks for the help!

joey83854

Jun 1, 2010
front unitl bearing or bearings going out on you.mine did this and the unit bearing was gone .les schwab said very common for the sensor to kick out as it cant read wheel speed with it wobling .just my 02 cents

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
My dad's truck does this also. His only does it right when you first start it. It chimes for a few seconds then the chime goes away and the message remains. His only does it once in a while and he has not been real worried about it. I would like to figure out what it is however.

Heavydutyhog

Sep 28, 2011
I have an 06 that is doing the same thing. The front hubs were changed about 15 months ago and for sure they only have a 1 year warranty. The code says it's not getting a wheel speed signal from the front right and front left wheel speed sensor. Batteries are less than 1 year old, as I've been told this could be the problem. Guess I'll have to change the hubs again at $500.00 and DIY. Anybody else have the same problem with wheel speed sensors?