LML down fer the count
5c49cb136899974a9b2842533e25ad7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Not sure if I told you guys or not, but our daughter wrecked her Grand Prix back in April. She got rear ended on the freeway....luckily she came away with only a bump on her head and a concussion. Couldnt find a replacement car for her in decent shape, until we found this 2012 Chevy Cruze RS with --get this -- 235,000 miles on it for $3000. It was actually still worth that amount according to KBB.

I did my due diligence and priced out what a replacement motor/trans would cost (~$1000), so after adding that potential cost into it, for what we got the car for we couldnt pass it up. I figured any other parts that needed replacing on it would've had to be anyways.

I've fixed the PCV valve issue, added some nice wheels/tires and it runs great. Plan is to add remote start and upgrade the radio to MyLink with a backup camera.

Anyways, I was replacing the rear hubs this weekend, due to Stabilitrak and ABS warning lights popping on, and found that the hubs were the factory pair. Un-freaking-real that they lasted that long. Still had the little bullseye barcodes on them. I replaced them with -- what else? -- OEM hubs.

Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Nice find Tom. I’m a firm believer that mileage doesn’t mean much of the vehicle has been well taken care of. My Ecoboost had 300k+ on it and everyone thought it had 50. Rather have 250k taken care of miles than 20k beat to death

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I found an old registration behind the glovebox when I was replacing the cabin filter, and turns out the previous owner lives just off my route. Small world.

We figured he was a freeway commuter to/from Detroit. Those kinds of miles are low-impact on a drivetrain.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Can you see how many hours on the engine? That should give you a good clue to its usage

I've always admired the cruze. I think it is one of the few cars chevy got right. I would seriously consider one if I didn't have my TDI

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have a strong love-hate thing with the Cruze. Bought one new in 2013, put 60,000 miles on it and grew pretty tired of it. Sold it to my brother and bought a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

It wasn't a bad car so much as it failed to be a good car. Hence the love hate thing. I can't point to any specific flaw or problem, yet I find a 180,000 mile 21 year old Pontiac to be superior. The LUV engine is excellent, especially with a tune, the trans is OK or even decent once tuned. Electric power steering was always on point. But overall... I don't know, just never felt right to me, so I sold it for the Pontiac.

My brother still has it, and I drove it again this evening. I still just... don't care? Still drives nice, but somehow I'm not happy with it. Missed my Pontiac after 30 miles, but can't figure out why.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
....and then I experienced a 1991 VW Cabriolet 1.8L timing belt, water pump and drivebelt replacement.

"German Engineering" my ass! These guys helped get us to the moon?!? W--T--F?!?