LB7: Semi freshen'd motor

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
Can you give us the quick and dirty on your powder coating setup?

I'll trade you a coffee on me for a tour of the production facility. :D It looks great!

Edit: any favorite books/websites/videos for those of us who are curious to start out on?

Nothing fancy at all, I use the dual voltage powder coating gun from Eastwood company, I've used their older style gun for many many years and have had great luck. I just recently purchased this dual voltage one when I started this build and it's great:thumb:. As far as powder I like Eastwood's powder cause it's pretty simple to use and has all the instructions printed right on the bottle, and they are fairly priced. I started getting into some other colors as far as candies and this black frost that I used on my motor and I got those from prismatic powder, which is a great company and has thousands of options for powder. Some of their candies and chrome sand transparent colors are kind of a pain but they look great when done right. That's kind of the skinny on the powder and gun.

Also powder coating is messy as hell. So I built a spray booth out of some PVC pipe and some foam board and I think that was probably one of the best things I've ever done. Also I sand blast everything before it gets powder coated, I'll post a pic of my home made booth

Also no favorite books or videos, there are some you tube videos out there, but a lot of it is trial and error...

There's the run down. Sorry it was long.

Attachments

• imagejpg2-1.jpg
    imagejpg2-1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
oh man...that has got to be the best looking build ive ever seen!! black frost and skulls is soooooo sick:thumb:

edit: makes me want to pull all my sh!t off and go all geek on it:D

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
oh man...that has got to be the best looking build ive ever seen!! black frost and skulls is soooooo sick:thumb:

edit: makes me want to pull all my sh!t off and go all geek on it:D

Thanks man, yank your motor out and start powder coating:thumb:

Awesome build Wes! Love to see other people who are as (or more) particular about their trucks as I am. :D

Thanks, I try to take pride in what I do. I always try to pay attention to the little details too whenever I build something, guess its kind of my OCD :D

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
That looks great.

Really like the spray booth you did

Thanks!

The spray booth was the best thing I've ever done as far as the powder coating goes. Helps a ton with the mess and clean up is easy with a shop vac. Also I put a hole in the side and run the shop vac in there so it kind of acts like a vent so there isn't a big cloud of powder floating around.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
I to have the east wood kit used it a couple times just got a new oven as the old one crapped totally out. Great excuse to buy new one for the woman. lol Quick question do you do any preheating of the parts? and how do you know when you have enough powder on the parts? My parts seems to be iffy at times.

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
I to have the east wood kit used it a couple times just got a new oven as the old one crapped totally out. Great excuse to buy new one for the woman. lol Quick question do you do any preheating of the parts? and how do you know when you have enough powder on the parts? My parts seems to be iffy at times.

I have pre heated parts in the past, but never saw an advantage unless it was a part that had lots of holes/cracks/pores so you could make sure all the moisture and any other grease and oil is removed before powder is applied. As far as thickness I've always wonder how this my material is compared to the pros. For me It's just a visual thing, and all powders spray different, that texture black I used goes on really heavy and this, whereas the black frost seems to go on thin so I make sure I apply more. I knows there's ways to measure the thickness but I haven't gotten that serious about it. I just base it off of previous experience. Sorry I'm not much help.

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
Finally got it done!

And it runs :happy2:

Just gotta wait for my new tunes and my turbo blankets ( thanks Levi :thumb::thumb:) to show up and double check everything and should be good to go. But not to far, gotta fix the t case again:(

Attachments

• imagejpg5-1.jpg
    imagejpg5-1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 40
  • imagejpg6.jpg
    imagejpg6.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 29
  • imagejpg7.jpg
    imagejpg7.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 29

wsmithduramax

<--- Home Made!
May 4, 2009
Windsor, CO
Well I think I got all the kinks worked out. I finally got my tunes (thanks you rob and the guys at ATP :thumb:) I has a couple minor coolant leaks one on the valve on the upper coolant pipe and one on the pipe that goes to the turbo. But I was able to snug them down and good to go.

I had one main problem though, I kept getting and excessive amount of oil sucked in from my s475, and then ran down the charge pipe to the the IHI. So I did some digging and came to find out I had a seal bad in the s475, so I ended up overnighting for a Saturday delivery rebuild kit for the s475 and rebuilt that today and got it all back together with the new tunes and was able to run it down the road. :happy2:

I'm still taking it easy, seems how I'm always nervous it's just gonna fall apart. But I think it will be ok.

So now for you Colorado guys: I'm ready for a meet and greet!!!!

Also want to give a big shout out to Levi for taking care of me on some blankets. I screwed up my original one and was able to work with me on getting me a new one and not to mention I picked up one for the IHI as well. Very nice fitting pieces too, outstanding work:thumb:

Last but not least, thanks to everyone's knowledge on here, this truly is one big family and most everyone is willing to help a brother out, so THANK YOU:hug:

Sorry for the long post

Attachments

• imagejpg18.jpg
    imagejpg18.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
  • imagejpg19.jpg
    imagejpg19.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 25
  • imagejpg1-8.jpg
    imagejpg1-8.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 26