LB7: Seeking Wisdom on LB7 Injector Job...

Renaldo

Oct 5, 2017
Duramax LB7 2004, 150K, needs new injectors. Dealer wants $6500 so...I figured I would mess up the job myself and save $$:D.

This will be the second injector job on truck...first done by dealer under warranty at about 100K with "new improved injectors...(sigh):rolleyes:".

I am a shade tree mechanic, seeking wisdom. Hoping to get another 50K out of truck.

My plan is to replace injectors, all related seals/gaskets and the eight high pressure fuel lines (hoping to avoid getting debris in new injectors).

Question: Should I replace injector cups (even if they don't lift up)?

Should I change out anything else while I am in there even if there is no apparent problem. Fuel return line? Other?

I would rather spend a few hundred more and do it right.

Thanks for your help.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You do not need to replace all the cups. However you should remove all of them and clean the hole, replace o rings, and reseal. No need for new return lines. I would recommend 2 new bolts for the return lines at the head as I've had a few twist in half. Also, the factory go return line bolts at the injectors are a major pain. You'll be lucky if you don't round them off. Make sure you have a GOOD QUALITY 5mm Allen head socket. Flat ended. Not ball ended. My recommendation would me Merchant Auto upgraded return line bolts. I got sick of my factory ones cause issues and got them. They are great. Double the head on them so that can easily be properly torqued.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
We have the install instructions/torque specs here to complete the injector job. We also have all kinds of different kits with the injectors at unbeatable prices. Let me know if I can help.

Renaldo

Oct 5, 2017
Thanks guys!

Thanks and I guess I will "talk to Brent"! I will buy some primo hex 5mm bits.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I'm a shade tree mechanic also. Bought my first dmax lb7 and within 5k miles I was going injectors. It's an easy job. Just pray you don't have any valve cover bolts round out. Yes you need a good set of Allen head sockets. If the return lines strip vise grips will break them loose. It's really not a bad job. The pain is pulling and resealing the injector cups. In my opinion. These lb7 injectors are funny. I have a friend that bought an 03 new and he's still on factory injectors. 190k miles.

warriorcustoms

Oct 5, 2017
Leon OK
Grab the SAC 45s from Brent & get a single tune to clean em up!!! It adds a little power & MPGs from what Ive collected... I was gonna go LLY Topend but these injectors sound like the ticket for LB7s :D