LB7: Screw in injector cups and a 5 inch boost tester

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Had some buddies at a machine shop make me some screw in injector cups and a 5 inch end cap for boost testing.

Attachments

• screw in cups 1.jpg
    screw in cups 1.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 180
  • screw in cups 2.jpg
    screw in cups 2.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 149
  • screw in cup install tool.jpg
    screw in cup install tool.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 146
  • screw in cup install tool 2.jpg
    screw in cup install tool 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 128
  • outside boost tester.jpg
    outside boost tester.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 137
  • inside boost tester.jpg
    inside boost tester.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 120

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Now the bad news,while boost testing we found antifreeze leaking out the back of the passenger side of the head so i guess ill get to use the cups on my own heads.:(

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
So the tops of the cups have nubs that mate with that "key" for install, similar to a wheel lock? Just how difficult is it for your machine shop to machine the threads in the heads? Anything else special you have to do?

Nicely done, Mr Scott.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
:( but they look awesome!!!:thumb:
Thanks

So the tops of the cups have nubs that mate with that "key" for install, similar to a wheel lock? Just how difficult is it for your machine shop to machine the threads in the heads? Anything else special you have to do?

Nicely done, Mr Scott.
Trying to see if it can be done by the end userwith the head turned upside down,make a tool to hold the tap centered and a guy can tap the hole in the the head him self.Other wise my machine shop said they would tap the heads fro free if the cups were bought there.

X2

Galaxy S3
Thanks

03blkmax you need not be looking at that kind of stuff
Not sure why you would say this,im trying to do something positive for lb7 guys.

Yea how do they work have to get head tapped?
Yes the hole in the head needs to be taped at the end.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hmmm...DIY threaded cups. If cost-effective, it would sure be a nice option to have.

Scott, do you still have to seal the cup bottoms with loctite?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Hmmm...DIY threaded cups. If cost-effective, it would sure be a nice option to have.

Scott, do you still have to seal the cup bottoms with loctite?
Oh yes i wouldnt install with out it and i would still coat the whole beveled edge where it contacts the beveled part of the head,anything to keep it liquid sealed and 400 psi from pressing its way in.

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
not trying to disrespect just joking with blkmax, nice looking pieces. I understand what kind of work goes into this stuff. If these are something that you are looking at selling i would like to get a price. :hug:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I will be testing these myself and i have 1 other set that Jackblack99 will be testing as well, he is in the middle of a pretty nasty motor build and will be pushing some pretty decent horse power from the sounds of it.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
not trying to disrespect just joking with blkmax, nice looking pieces. I understand what kind of work goes into this stuff. If these are something that you are looking at selling i would like to get a price. :hug:
I am not a vendor here and dont mean to step on any toes,if testing works good i may look into it tho.I love my LB7 and anything i can do to make it better,and help out some DD members i will.

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
sounds good, getting ready to start a nice build myself. I cant decide if i want a set of screw in cups or just billet hold downs will be ok.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
sounds good, getting ready to start a nice build myself. I cant decide if i want a set of screw in cups or just billet hold downs will be ok.
I dont know how much the billet hold downs cost,i do know guys have used billet hold downs and green loctite and still had cups leak.

I am going to try and look into a way to resue the stock cups and make them screw in and just do a core on the customers till returned,then i could really make these extremely afordable.The machine shop told me its very doable.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Dam lb7s:D
scott, hope u get it back together soon. Stuff looks great. Nice work:thumb:
Thanks Dan

what kind of time frame do you think you are looking at.
Not sure i want to get them in and id like to flog it at the track and Daily drive it for a bit.I dont really see a down side the right material was used and the tapers are exactly the same.But its like makeing your own set of rods and destroying alot of guys engines (and yes it did happen)I dont need to be popular for the wrong reasons,or at all for that matter.i want to help guys out not hurt their engines so im going to beat on mine for a bit to make sure.