School me on rebuilds

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My protrustions were all between .012 and .015, but yours might be different. As long as they are all close to the same (like compression figures), then you go from there.

x2 on what James said. How far do you want to get into this engine? Could simply try to hone the cylinders and see first....

I'm not sure how far I want into it really.. I thought about seeing if a hone would clean it up and then maybe a fresh set of rings.. However ricks complete lly donor truck is sounding more and more tempting seeing how it runs and has all the extra parts I need. Probably about the same price as a rebuild at this point.

I want to look at all the bearings before I decide much. I don't have much in this engine and have all the parts to make it lly.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
looks like either cyl's got washed down or coolant sitting in the cyl ate at it. are the dull spots your seeing inline with the piston skirts?

stock protrusion is in the .010-.014 range IIRC. measure over the wrist pin.

Yes dull spots would be where skirts are

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
With no rocker arms opening the intake valve it is gonna read low on compression.....

That being said, looks like coolant or condensation from setting.

We put a worse engine in my cousins "muddin truck"... And runs fine, hardly any extra blowby...it was a shop fire truck and melted valve covers exposing valve train. I would never put it in a customers truck or a Duraburb I was putting your kind of time in....

But I'd pull the rods & pistons and check cylinder wall taper...if in spec, hone it and install new bearings, rings, rod bolts and a new oil pump. And run it

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
With no rocker arms opening the intake valve it is gonna read low on compression.....

That being said, looks like coolant or condensation from setting.

We put a worse engine in my cousins "muddin truck"... And runs fine, hardly any extra blowby...it was a shop fire truck and melted valve covers exposing valve train. I would never put it in a customers truck or a Duraburb I was putting your kind of time in....

But I'd pull the rods & pistons and check cylinder wall taper...if in spec, hone it and install new bearings, rings, rod bolts and a new oil pump. And run it

Didn't even think about it not opening the Intake valves..

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'm not sure how far I want into it really.. I thought about seeing if a hone would clean it up and then maybe a fresh set of rings.. However ricks complete lly donor truck is sounding more and more tempting seeing how it runs and has all the extra parts I need. Probably about the same price as a rebuild at this point.

I want to look at all the bearings before I decide much. I don't have much in this engine and have all the parts to make it lly.

For $4500, you're money ahead. Sell everything else and cut your costs.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ummm.. Right now pretty sure it would cause divorce papers...

I have that same problem. Thing is, Roni will then surprise the living hell out of me and say, "Go ahead". As long as the bills are paid, I guess.......

I just do not understand women sometimes. :roflmao:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I have that same problem. Thing is, Roni will then surprise the living hell out of me and say, "Go ahead". As long as the bills are paid, I guess.......

I never understand them lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

seriously!!! Erin did the same thing to me the other day. i started talking to her about how i want to mod my tracker so it has long travel, bigger rear axle, coilovers, ect and she goes "will the back ride smoother for the little one?" which it will and i answer yes, then get "ok, i dont have a problem with that". needless to say, ive been running with it!!