Allison 5sp: SC 3, what all makes it cost so much?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'm currently running down the parts that MIKE L told me to use in my build for my 01, and I called my local shop and he told me the only way to get the powerpacks was to get a SC3 kit for $2260 or minus $1295 without the converter. I called the local ALTO distributor since I didn't think that ALTO would only sell these as a kit, and low and behold I can buy all 4 powerpacks for under $350. Another $250 for the shift kit and I figure another $100 for the converter valve. From what I have read this is essentially what a SC3 consists of, so why does suncoast charge $965 when I can buy it in pieces for under $700? Is there some pieces that I am missing from my list that makes up the difference? And also is the converetr valve really neccesary? I read in one of MIKE's posts that it can cause a harsh engagement into lock-up. And I called the person that MIKE said to for a converter and they are priced MUCH better than SUNCOAST:D.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The powerpacks come with the apply plates where needed already from what I have found out. I know the SC4 comes with a machined part for the extra clutches in the C-3 clutch pack. $265 sems a bit high for mark-up as well.

Last edited:

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
if you could share these phone numbers that would be nice. renodmax has done tranny builds like this iirc

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i would pay the mark up to have a company like suncoast with vendors like Mike L willing to be there for help if i have a problem with my product . you got the proper info from mike on what you need but your willing to bypass him after the info was given for free...... to save a few bucks :confused:and will expect his help on this site if any problems are incountered during the install or after when the truck is running ...... for free . does this seem right to you ?

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
i would pay the mark up to have a company like suncoast with vendors like Mike L willing to be there for help if i have a problem with my product . you got the proper info from mike on what you need but your willing to bypass him after the info was given for free...... to save a few bucks :confused:and will expect his help on this site if any problems are incountered during the install or after when the truck is running ...... for free . does this seem right to you ?

Mike is great I will agree, but he is NOT the only guy willing to help people out.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

Great points

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.

the overall point here I can agree with, however i will not support Suncoast ever again, they have done everything wrong in the past couple years and I have had nothing but problems with them as others have too. i will order what Mike thinks will work best, if it has suncoast's name on it so be it, but i'll be damned if i give them another dollar

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
the overall point here I can agree with, however i will not support Suncoast ever again, they have done everything wrong in the past couple years and I have had nothing but problems with them as others have too. i will order what Mike thinks will work best, if it has suncoast's name on it so be it, but i'll be damned if i give them another dollar

Care to elaborate:eek:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
correct, then they stole my damn crate that they never charged me for when Matt sent the tranny to them to have it warrentied, told me and Matt that they had never had 6-speed conversion problems other than mine, told me they would "take a look at the tuning" and i said "you wish". i never trusted them from day one really, i had kept my stock tranny and tcm all which they charge core for so i ate it for a while. glad i did otherwise we wouldnt have been able to use the 5-sp TCM. until recently when i sent the tranny and converter back to get some money back from them and they apperantly charge a 15% restocking fee after 90 days for returns, even if it's under core charge. so a $1400 core turned into $800 back. my argument was that they would still be warrantying the trans if i hadn't kept the stock TCM, but they dont see it that way.

Whatever, it's water under the bridge, and thousands of dollars of a mistake, but I am glad I learned i wasn't the only one getting boned. Mike is a great guy and his products, ideas, and help are always a phone call away and i'd like to keep it that way, so i, as all should be, am willing to support his efforts

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have never bought anything from Mike and he has spent some time on the phone with me, I'm glad he likes to talk aslong as I can lol.:hug: