THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I finally got to take the ex cab buttoned up today
I have a light haze & a noticeable fuel smell at idle
Balance rates are 0.0-0.4 on all but one that's at .06
Going on the test ride the turbos spool alot quicker & engine seems quieter

I had to bump the idle timing to clear up the fuel smell at idle. Going to an lly rail pressure(change the 30 cells to 35 in the idle areas) and timing tables cleared up most all the part throttle hazing.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know James was second guessing your theory :D but I wonder how much of a difference the dual plane nozzle makes compared to a factory oversize LLY nozzle?

No i wouldnt say that i was second guessing it, just trying to see where he was seeing the difference as what he was describing was ALOT like both sets of injectors i tried/am using. it seems its the finer details he noticed that not many would see as they dont either tune their truck or just not that physically "in tune" with their truck.

and just cause i know your messing with me :hifinger: :D

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
My stock injectors are also biting the dust so I have been looking at the 45% over SAC but the problem is I do not have EFI live and don't know anything about tuning but I don't want the good old injector problem again I have had them replaced once already and would like to up grade. I have the basics air intake, exhaust, boost increase valve, edge and not much more. What do you guys think any input would be much appreciated. :thumb:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
No i wouldnt say that i was second guessing it, just trying to see where he was seeing the difference as what he was describing was ALOT like both sets of injectors i tried/am using. it seems its the finer details he noticed that not many would see as they dont either tune their truck or just not that physically "in tune" with their truck.

Its "you're" , but I still got it :rofl:

I agree that Ferm sounds a little picky, but that's mostly a good thing.

joelykool

Apr 4, 2007
My stock injectors are also biting the dust so I have been looking at the 45% over SAC but the problem is I do not have EFI live and don't know anything about tuning but I don't want the good old injector problem again I have had them replaced once already and would like to up grade. I have the basics air intake, exhaust, boost increase valve, edge and not much more. What do you guys think any input would be much appreciated. :thumb:

I had Tony at ridge runner diesel get me tuning for my truck. Once i get the injectors in the next few weeks installed, i'll let you know how the tuning works out. Id definitely try a set of the sac's and gamble on em'...

white-duramax

Jul 9, 2009
Yeah I would like to give them a shot! If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the tune? Yes please keep me posted!

Any other input from anyone else?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

I haven't messed with another stock lb7 with oversized injectors, my only comparisons would be on mild builds with delipped pistons and 66mm turbos, so not a fair comparison. I ended up dropping my pulse back to 1700 at 170(flow sheet says 1700 at 160 mpa is 165-168mm3 of fuel, not sure how much the extra 10mpa of pressure bumps it), and top end timing is set to 55%. Before I would get a healthy puff of black smoke from a dig before the turbo would light off, but now it's just a whiff and shes lit and going. Just rolling along in town I now can actually hear the turbo come in and start singing around 1500-1600 rpm's whereas before it was closer to 1900 before it started to sing(it's REALLY making me want a better turbo).

What's weird is during spoolup it is making more boost, but once it's spooled and going, it's making less. My boost valve was set to 28-29 before on my daily tune(2250 pw at 60% timing), now I'm peaking at 24.5-25. Going by my HIGHLY calibrated butt dyno, it definately seems to pull harder now. I had no trouble getting lockup in 2nd before after some TCM tweaks, but now I'm back hoping it will lockup again, it's now not wanting to relock in 4th gear if I kick it down to pass somebody. A week ago I was wishing I had just done the 2 bad injectors, now I'm trying to excercise restrain and keep the wick turned down.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I haven't messed with another stock lb7 with oversized injectors, my only comparisons would be on mild builds with delipped pistons and 66mm turbos, so not a fair comparison. I ended up dropping my pulse back to 1700 at 170(flow sheet says 1700 at 160 mpa is 165-168mm3 of fuel, not sure how much the extra 10mpa of pressure bumps it), and top end timing is set to 55%. Before I would get a healthy puff of black smoke from a dig before the turbo would light off, but now it's just a whiff and shes lit and going. Just rolling along in town I now can actually hear the turbo come in and start singing around 1500-1600 rpm's whereas before it was closer to 1900 before it started to sing(it's REALLY making me want a better turbo).

What's weird is during spoolup it is making more boost, but once it's spooled and going, it's making less. My boost valve was set to 28-29 before on my daily tune(2250 pw at 60% timing), now I'm peaking at 24.5-25. Going by my HIGHLY calibrated butt dyno, it definately seems to pull harder now. I had no trouble getting lockup in 2nd before after some TCM tweaks, but now I'm back hoping it will lockup again, it's now not wanting to relock in 4th gear if I kick it down to pass somebody. A week ago I was wishing I had just done the 2 bad injectors, now I'm trying to excercise restrain and keep the wick turned down.
The lower boost is probably due to the pulsewidth being shorter. Less fuel being burnt late in the compression stroke and out the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The lower boost is probably due to the pulsewidth being shorter. Less fuel being burnt late in the compression stroke and out the exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yup and I'll bet EGTs are down some from where you were before.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You were only running 2250us before? Thought you built that trans a long while ago.

I did. 2250 was all I ran because anymore and it hazed. I strive to keep mine as clean as possible for daily useage. It pulled surprisingly strong for no more fuel than I was giving it. And I had actually smoked a set of c2's on that tune. And I'm limited in what my chassis can handle vs the newer trucks.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Oh I'm sure it ran good, I just didn't know how far you had taken it.

You were running 8 c2's back then, right? Mine didn't look very good either when I tore it down recently.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Oh I'm sure it ran good, I just didn't know how far you had taken it.

You were running 8 c2's back then, right? Mine didn't look very good either when I tore it down recently.
7 with a wave plate, smoked em right down to the metal. I've ran a 3100 PW in it before, but I did not care for the smoke. I try to tune by example, I keep all of my tunes I've done for others clean, so I do my best to keep my own clean too. And I can't afford to shorten my rods, so I want to stay WELL under the 500HP mark.

Loaded up the wife and kids tonight for our 1st ride to go shopping since her HONDA has an active airbag recall, and were waiting on the parts to come in(told her not to get that friggen thing, but I digress). She immidiately commented on how it sounds different now. I heard it, but thought it was just my imagination, but she said even our 4 year old doesn't recognize the sound of me getting home now because the exhaust note is so different. It has a deeper sound to the exhaust now than before. I had others comment on mine that they thought it had a VGT in it from the exhaust sound, but theres NO thinking that now. It has a very deep rumble to the exhaust note now.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
7 with a wave plate, smoked em right down to the metal. I've ran a 3100 PW in it before, but I did not care for the smoke. I try to tune by example, I keep all of my tunes I've done for others clean, so I do my best to keep my own clean too. And I can't afford to shorten my rods, so I want to stay WELL under the 500HP mark.

Loaded up the wife and kids tonight for our 1st ride to go shopping since her HONDA has an active airbag recall, and were waiting on the parts to come in(told her not to get that friggen thing, but I digress). She immidiately commented on how it sounds different now. I heard it, but thought it was just my imagination, but she said even our 4 year old doesn't recognize the sound of me getting home now because the exhaust note is so different. It has a deeper sound to the exhaust now than before. I had others comment on mine that they thought it had a VGT in it from the exhaust sound, but theres NO thinking that now. It has a very deep rumble to the exhaust note now.

Oh ok, I've never ran a wave plate before.

Sounds like you need a dsp2 switch :D

elcaminonut69

Mar 8, 2013
My Injectors were installed in October of 2015 and have about 60,000 miles on them. Last week it started the dreaded blue smoke and hazing at idle and like Ferm said it can get embarrassing. Ferm would you still swap after knowing what you have gone through or would you stay with the stock Bosch injectors.