S472 spool up?

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
Really having a tough time deciding what turbo to go with any one in the new jersey or even just eastern elevation area running a 472 cast wheel just wanna no what mods you guys are running with it and how you like it also the spool up on it thanks any input isgreat!

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I had one at 5000 ft elevation. I didnt like it much. It was too laggy for me but it towed 10k lbs to Alaska. Top end was great but 5th gear was a no go for towing. Stock fuel system too when I had it.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
One very important thing being over looked is the size of the intake for these turbos
on 71mm and larger chargers. I found out quickly that a standard size intake (3.75"- to 4") hinders these turbos (64-66mm may not be effected as much) on spool up time. I dropped about 400rpm on my GT42 when I went to a 5". A fat chick on a tricycle could have beat me across a intersection if I wasn't spooled at take off before. I'm at 6K elevation however and it also helps at lower elevations too. The 71mm I ran (A5k that I trashed) spooled way better at lower Rs as well.

Turbos are just pumps after all. As true with all pumps, they are better at pushing than pulling.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
ive driven a s475 non wastegated with a billet wheel and thought the spool up was very good. i mention the garrett turbo because its a ball bearing turbo and i like garrets :D plus the waste gate helps too. the elevation here in vegas is 2k

they are more expensive than borg turbos

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I've got a billet S475 which I'm told spools really close to the same as a cast S472. It took a little getting use to but with a good TCM tune it works very well. If you tow maybe 8k plus often I would get something smaller, but I tow 4-5 k almost daily with no issues. I just tow in 5th gear which helps allot. I'm really close to sea level also, and buy the way the S400's rip on the top, you'll love it for daily driving!

06dmax

Aug 5, 2009
any one happen to got a s472 for sale with a pedistal?? or even just the turbo?