S472 billet towing, need advice on egts

05Monsterdmax

May 31, 2011
Been doing alot of towing of the camper lately. Egts are hotter then I'd prefer. Most towing is around 60mph. Stock fueling tuned by kory at ppei. 40% injectors, dual fueled etc. charger is a forced inductions billet 472, 87,.90. 5th gear towing at 60 I generally hold around 1200(sometimes1k) but climbs to 1400 quickly on any grade, if left in 5th. I can bump it down to 4th which is where I've been doing alot of my towing so it isn't laggy, and I stay at 1k flat ground or hills. What's some options to lower egts? Been debating possibly opening up the housing some, or a sock, but not sure wat would work. Any ideas?

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
I have a danville 72vvt and tow a 5th wheel. I tow in 5th and 4th alot, my egts never go over 1350. I am twinning the truck, I think that would be the best fix, but cant say that for sure. Good luck

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Might help if it had a 83mm turbine

I would agree, towing at 60mph in 5th gear is going to run at really low RPM's, which is going to be really tough on boost numbers. Smaller turbine or more RPM's is going to be your best bet. I bet that thing would be an animal running 75mph instead of 60mph

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I would get a 83mm turbine wheel to begin with. And at 60 MPH your truck is lugging in 5th with a camper behind it. Speed up a little or slow down and use 4th gear.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Is the tuning for the 40% injectors?

Still running stock intercooler?

I'm curious about the tuning as well. Says stock furling tuning by Kory then says 40s and 2xCP3. If it is tuned for stock sticks, tuning alone will help. As far as the intercooler goes, I think you would see a bit of egt drop under boost but I don't think it would have a huge effect on cruising. The added volume might slow spool times as well.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
the 87 can do the job if all else is correct in the setup, i cant even count how many stock ic's ive seen that leak, most guys dont have a clue they are leakin either!

carpenca

Dec 17, 2010
Been doing alot of towing of the camper lately. Egts are hotter then I'd prefer. Most towing is around 60mph. Stock fueling tuned by kory at ppei. 40% injectors, dual fueled etc. charger is a forced inductions billet 472, 87,.90. 5th gear towing at 60 I generally hold around 1200(sometimes1k) but climbs to 1400 quickly on any grade, if left in 5th. I can bump it down to 4th which is where I've been doing alot of my towing so it isn't laggy, and I stay at 1k flat ground or hills. What's some options to lower egts? Been debating possibly opening up the housing some, or a sock, but not sure wat would work. Any ideas?

Its not getting hot because its choked up, its getting hot because your not driving the turbo hard enough! You have a 900+ HP turbo, that you want to pull OD with Loaded and at only 60 MPH or 2000 RPM or less. It takes RPM to drive a big turbo, and boost to cool it off!

Downshift or get a smaller turbo...

Caleb

PS, Adding another turbo still wont fix it at that RPM. It will still be flat, and still require RPM to get moving.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
OP, your driving under the charger at that speed. like others have said, either keep her in 4th and slow down a hair or kick it up to 70mph or so. Even with a 83mm wheel i would bet you still have decently high EGTs. you are just not in the RPM range to get the boost you need. While i can tow my toy hauler at 60mph in 5th, egts are way higher their than they need to be because im at 1500rpm and the stock turbo doesnt like it that low, my 475 sure as heck does not even make a sound at that RPM.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I would say he needs to just bump up the speed to get on top of the charger. If I were to lug my twins at 60mph in 5th I would expect the temps to get a little warm up a grade.

besides...who drives 60mph?? lol

05Monsterdmax

May 31, 2011
I pulled my buddies ccsb dmax to have a trans put in it on my 30ft gooseneck, I ran 75-80 all the way there and never went over 1250 hardly. It's all back roads where the lake is at, 55 is the speed limit or I'd be rocking on. Stock intercooler, system has all been tested. Truck has dsp by kory, I tow on my weakest tune. It's tuned for the fuelers and sticks. The speed is wats killing me, charger is dead as hell in that range, 4th get my Rpms up around 2500 and I can roll on