runnnin 50 hp inj's with PPe tune

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
X2 the PPE while not ideal for the injectors will woprk fine , just might smoke a bit more at part throttle accel , but use a smaller tune than you normally would to compensate for the bigger sticks.

So could i run the 160 tune safely with plenty of power? I am planning more upgrades such as tranny and so forth so even if i can utilizr their potential right i just wanted to be sure they were ok and make sure i was not actually going backwards. If I can run the 160 tune with them and still make good power I would be happy. Oh and does bullydog rate their HP at the flywheel?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X2 but its not a DD street truck. I would talk to PPE to fine out what tune they think you should run. I would think the smallest or even stock. Your mileage might drop a bit.

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
X2 but its not a DD street truck. I would talk to PPE to fine out what tune they think you should run. I would think the smallest or even stock. Your mileage might drop a bit.

well that would kind of defeat the purpose wouldnt it ? Why buy bigger injectors or even have a ppe tuner if you have to run it on a small tune or stock? In that case i would say screw the injectors get stock ones and crank up the ppe. 50hp injectors with no dmn tune doesnt sound like a wise investment or any fun

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
well that would kind of defeat the purpose wouldnt it ? Why buy bigger injectors or even have a ppe tuner if you have to run it on a small tune or stock? In that case i would say screw the injectors get stock ones and crank up the ppe. 50hp injectors with no dmn tune doesnt sound like a wise investment or any fun

I dont understand your logic ? you do relize a 100 hp ppe tune will be a whole lot more than 100 hp with the bigger injectors dont you ? and the truck will make more power per drop of fuel than it did before ? several guys have picked up .2-.3 tenths in the 1/4 mile from just adding injectors , and they didnt pick up the extra power from more fuel , it was from running smaller tunes that with the larger injector will get the same amount of fuel in the cylinder in a more efficent way .

do some homework there is plenty of reading to be done on the subject

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
If you want the most power out of the stock CP3 then PPE is not the way to go. No offense to them, they have the best plug and play programmers out there for the Duramax. But custom tuning your truck and getting it completely dialed in with EFI Live is going to give you a good bit more power.

Next, I am usually a big supporter of big injectors and run 100% over injectors in my personal truck - which most people would consider garden hoses, lol. However, I don't recommend bigger injectors unless you run custom tuning so that you can actually adjust for the larger injectors. Also, I would not run or recommend Industrial's injectors in any Duramax. For the run of the mill options I would recommend Dynomite Diesel for an LB7, they have the equipment to fully test them and get them balanced (for the LB7 only). Other than that I would recommend sending a stock set to Guy at SoCal diesel to be done. I would send the Industrials back and go with either stock or one of the better options.

Disclaimer: I don't own a common rail test bench, but have customers that have gone with Industrial against my recommendation and on one brand new set they had 2 dead ones, Industrial replaced those, then the balance rates were all over the place. While trying to get it dialed in it took almost the same PW he was running on stock injectors to get anywhere near the same power out of the truck and the truck just didn't run as good. Too many people have had similar problems, and the guys that do have test benches have all verified that Industrial's injectors aren't balanced sets.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Same power on a lesser PW and timng.....Seems pretty good to me

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
If you want the most power out of the stock CP3 then PPE is not the way to go. No offense to them, they have the best plug and play programmers out there for the Duramax. But custom tuning your truck and getting it completely dialed in with EFI Live is going to give you a good bit more power.

Next, I am usually a big supporter of big injectors and run 100% over injectors in my personal truck - which most people would consider garden hoses, lol. However, I don't recommend bigger injectors unless you run custom tuning so that you can actually adjust for the larger injectors. Also, I would not run or recommend Industrial's injectors in any Duramax. For the run of the mill options I would recommend Dynomite Diesel for an LB7, they have the equipment to fully test them and get them balanced (for the LB7 only). Other than that I would recommend sending a stock set to Guy at SoCal diesel to be done. I would send the Industrials back and go with either stock or one of the better options.

Disclaimer: I don't own a common rail test bench, but have customers that have gone with Industrial against my recommendation and on one brand new set they had 2 dead ones, Industrial replaced those, then the balance rates were all over the place. While trying to get it dialed in it took almost the same PW he was running on stock injectors to get anywhere near the same power out of the truck and the truck just didn't run as good. Too many people have had similar problems, and the guys that do have test benches have all verified that Industrial's injectors aren't balanced sets.

Well I just talked to Ind Inj and I am getting brand new Bosch Injectors and the nozzles are flow checked and balanced according to them is this not true?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Well I just talked to Ind Inj and I am getting brand new Bosch Injectors and the nozzles are flow checked and balanced according to them is this not true?

of course they will tell you that:D Contact Guy at SoCal... I have seen II's injectors in 2 CR trucks and their flow sheets from an outside source... very unimpressive. One of the trucks ran like absolute shit, swapped them for F1 tips and the problem was solved. Why risk it? check out othgrl's thread about his engine failure from mismatched tips.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13454

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com

The Bosch injectors should be fine and dandy. The tips are the problem. What pressure do they flow test them at? With what fluid? Do they actually measure the output or just check the spray pattern? Do they test them at all on the injectors or just the tips alone? Like a few of us have said, outside testing facilities have run Industrials injectors and they are not truely balanced sets. While tying to tune trucks with them they never run quite right IMO. I am not a competing injection shop and am not trying to sell you on something that I sell - I suggested a few better alternatives to Industrial, none of which am I a dealer for; I'm telling you what my experience is and what I have heard from others I trust with even more experience.

My new injectors are being taken care of by Guy at SoCal - the tips will be EDMed and then cleaned up with extrude honing to ensure the holes are uniform all the way through (not hour glass shaped from extensive extrude honing wearing more on the inlet and outlet of each hole), they will be checked for spray pattern, and they will be assembled on the injectors where they will be flow tested and balanced at real world pressure and pulse widths ranging from idle to wide open throttle. If they are not balanced (on the injectors as a set) they can calibrate the injectors to get them there, or will do a little more work on the tips that flow the least. I have no doubt that when I get them they will have near perfect balance rates in the truck and will be easy to tune and work great.

Last edited:

blowinsmoke

obsessed not addicted
Nov 24, 2009
Injectors

Well after talking to the owner of Industrial Injection i installed the injectors anyway . It has been 4 days and my balance rates are

#1. -0.2
#2. -0.2
#3. -0.1
#4. 0.0
#5. -0.1
#6. -0.3
#7. 0.0
#8. -0.4
Thats in neutral with engine at operating temp. Truck runs like a scalded ass dog, idles smooth as hell amd makes GREAT power. Much better than I ever expected. All I am saying is give people a chance cause noone is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. They have obviously fixed what ever problem they had and i just wanted everyone to know that I got a great set of 50hp injectors (thank god cause I cant take any more bad luck!!! )

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Jimbo- Slice said:
The only Tuner/programmer that gives you the true horse power number in rear wheel increments is Banks, the same goes for all there other products.
Banks is the best! :rofl: