LLY: review of the Superchips Flashpaq F5 2842

Worktruckgonebad

May 16, 2016
chicago,IL south suburbs
i have had my super chips flash-paq F5 on the truck for about 3-4 months now. overall for the money it is not a bad tuner for someone who is new to diesels or doesn't want to make crazy amounts of power.

PROS:
inexpensive
simple user interface
basic gauge readout
tire size compensation
speed limiter

CONS:
canned tune
a little to smokey (for me at least)
in my case still caused limp mode (5th with torque converter locked up = not enough fluid pressure)

overall if i wasn't looking to spend alot on getting a "proper" tune i would buy this unit again.

if anyone has any more info or experiences with super chips on their duramax feel free to share.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
Yah until it stops working when you try to retune to a different level and are stuck. It would not communicate with ecm during the retune. and the truck would not crank or do anything. Took me forever to get it to flash back to stock. Hit the garbage can as soon as I got home. Not hating anyone for using it but I don't trust their stuff anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have good luck with them, the old gray one and the new red ones. The old gray one was a little temperamental when flashing in the cold. 5th gear is really weak on a stock 5 speed...

Worktruckgonebad

May 16, 2016
chicago,IL south suburbs
yeah my next step is to get the trans built or just get a crate built trans followed by EFI-live. i did have a few issues with it communicating with the truck in the beginning but that was solved by an update.