Reverse leveling ideas

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Hey guys. Gonna be dropping my t bars for flat angles in the next few weeks. I don't really want to get rid of the overload because I may still tow a bit. My question is how much will pulling the bottom leaf out (NOT the overload) drop me? Will it be level or will I still need to get drop shackles? My reasoning for wanting to pull a leaf is for a better ride. Knock out 2 birds with one stone.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
They're already higher in the back of you drop the front it will be even more of a difference. You'll need a couple inches to level it out.

That leaf will only drop it like half an inch. You can take out the overload and a leaf and put in small drop shackles and airbags for when you want to tow. Best of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
They're already higher in the back of you drop the front it will be even more of a difference. You'll need a couple inches to level it out.

That leaf will only drop it like half an inch. You can take out the overload and a leaf and put in small drop shackles and airbags for when you want to tow. Best of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will taking the leaf out help the ride quality?

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
The overload removal definitely improved my ride. A single leaf should do a little bit of ride improvement.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I've got 3" drop shackles, overload removed, and use a set of Monroe Air shocks when I tow my bass boat(20' skeeter about 3,700#) and it works perfectly. The shock can take 150psi and it only take about 80psi to level the truck back out

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I've got 3" drop shackles, overload removed, and use a set of Monroe Air shocks when I tow my bass boat(20' skeeter about 3,700#) and it works perfectly. The shock can take 150psi and it only take about 80psi to level the truck back out
Do you have a part number for those shocks? How good is your ride?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
All it will will do is put more spring pressure on the overload. Ride will get worse if anything

My question is how exactly? You have one less leaf which decreases your spring rate correct? Making it more like a 1500 spring (less leaves) I don't exactly get how just removing the overload will help ride much. My trucks springs don't set on the overload or anywhere near it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong at all. Just trying to see if I'm missing something here.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The shocks are direct bolt in also. I've got them on two of my 1500's and they get out on my 2500 if I'm going to haul the boat somewhere

So you don't run them regularly? What shock do you usually run? If I did run the air shocks all the time around what pressure would you recommend?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I leave my QA1 adjustable shocks on most of the time anymore. Usually use the 1500 to tow the boat locally and use the 2500 for long trips but haven't had any for a long time. Empty, I usually leave 10-15#'s in them. Just depends on how heavy of load the rest of the time

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My question is how exactly? You have one less leaf which decreases your spring rate correct? Making it more like a 1500 spring (less leaves) I don't exactly get how just removing the overload will help ride much. My trucks springs don't set on the overload or anywhere near it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong at all. Just trying to see if I'm missing something here.

Your thinking about this too hard. He's keeping the overload. Pulling a leaf and leaving the over load means more spring will lay on the overload which does not flex well unloaded. You reduced the spring rate of the primary stack but the travel you have before the overload starts to increase spring rate becomes much less.

Removing the overload let's the springs only work on their primary spring rate. There is no extremely stiff spring under the main pack for the springs to start layers no against and effectively start increasing spring rate till the primary springs are in full contract with the overload.

This is why trucks with worn out leafs ride like hell compared to a new set of stock leaves

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Your thinking about this too hard. He's keeping the overload. Pulling a leaf and leaving the over load means more spring will lay on the overload which does not flex well unloaded. You reduced the spring rate of the primary stack but the travel you have before the overload starts to increase spring rate becomes much less.

Removing the overload let's the springs only work on their primary spring rate. There is no extremely stiff spring under the main pack for the springs to start layers no against and effectively start increasing spring rate till the primary springs are in full contract with the overload.

This is why trucks with worn out leafs ride like hell compared to a new set of stock leaves

I 100% agree with this. Growing up racing motocross a lot of my buddies who were just starting out (very slow riders) complained thier suspension was to stiff once they started to pick up a little speed. 99% of time I could watch them for 1 lap and it was obvious thier suspension was too soft and using the latter part of the stroke to much. They were blowing straight the plush part of the stroke. Remember suspension is progressive the further in the stroke you the more harsh it will feel.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

Ahh I see. That does make sense. Okay thank you guys for the help. I'll probably pull the overloads and use lowering shackles

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I 100% agree with this. Growing up racing motocross a lot of my buddies who were just starting out (very slow riders) complained thier suspension was to stiff once they started to pick up a little speed. 99% of time I could watch them for 1 lap and it was obvious thier suspension was too soft and using the latter part of the stroke to much. They were blowing straight the plush part of the stroke. Remember suspension is progressive the further in the stroke you the more harsh it will feel.

it depends on spring but most suspension is linear, not progressive. there is a big difference between the two. even "progressive rate springs" are not truely progressive but closer to a dual stage linear spring.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I'd pull the overload and run bags, I've seen a few guys run the schrader valves out where the licence plate bolts on, think that looks pretty slick. What is the proper way and recommended shim to install when dropping 3"?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'd pull the overload and run bags, I've seen a few guys run the schrader valves out where the licence plate bolts on, think that looks pretty slick. What is the proper way and recommended shim to install when dropping 3"?

Depends on how you drop it.

My air bag lines are run that way currently as well. Easier for the compressor in the trailer to reach too