LMM: Replacing Head gaskets... Pull motor or Do it in the truck?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have saved a shit load of money in the last year since I quit messing with the truck.

boy aint that the truth. cant believe how much ive saved.

as for pulling it, i would. since i have different fenders on mine, i can just yank the inner/outer fender off on both side of mine in 20 min and i have all the room in the world to get to the heads. then its another 10 min to yank the front cooling stack together and i have 270* of full access.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
If you have a way to do it, lifting the cab is the easiest way to do it IMO.

Not to hijack but sense were talking about it. How much bs is involved in lifting the can up/off. I have a lift. Unbolt cab mounts, front clip, brake lines, couple plugs?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I did one set with motor in the truck and cab intact. I did not like it cause its hard to inspect everything and get it all cleaned up. Plus it sucked trying to torque the studs.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Pull it. I do them in the truck at work and wonder why every time. I can do hg in the truck in about 6 hrs but I don't think the hour or two you save is worth the trouble. But if you decide to do them in the truck try in bolting the trans mount and jack the back of the trans up it will give you way more room on the back of the motor for the studs.

Bullshit you can do them in 6 hours.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
No reason to bs! Not saying I can do them all in 6hrs but I have done lb7s that fast no lie.