LMM: Replacing Head gaskets... Pull motor or Do it in the truck?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am finally going to do the head gaskets on this junky LBZ motor that I put in my LMM.

As far as time and ease/ frustration, what is the best route? Pull the motor or leave it in and fight the body panels?

Will be putting in studs too.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I'd pull it, IMHO. when I put in my studs it was so much easier with the engine out. Word on the street is that you can have them out pretty fast too lol

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Paint, I would like to, but I have saved a shit load of money in the last year since I quit messing with the truck. Honestly I am pissed I have to do these. Just wanted to drive it lol. The new heads do have so cal springs and putting in MA push rods and studs

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you have a way to do it, lifting the cab is the easiest way to do it IMO.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Yeah I definitely know what it takes to get the motor out, just wasn't 100% how much trouble the heads would be. Looks like a lot of stuff to take off while laying on the core support lol

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Yeah I definitely know what it takes to get the motor out, just wasn't 100% how much trouble the heads would be. Looks like a lot of stuff to take off while laying on the core support lol

So your not the only one that lays on their core support while staring at the engine thinking how much of a PITA it would be :rofl:

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
i have yet to pull a cab, i usually just fight them in the rails. Usually have 5 hours in complete disassembly(have yet to do an lmm). Cab raising seems like it may be the way to go. Edit I do have a top side creeper makes it great, also I take front tires off and let the truck rest all the way on the ground

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Pull it. I do them in the truck at work and wonder why every time. I can do hg in the truck in about 6 hrs but I don't think the hour or two you save is worth the trouble. But if you decide to do them in the truck try in bolting the trans mount and jack the back of the trans up it will give you way more room on the back of the motor for the studs.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Also when you pull the head drop the stud in the hole of the head prior to re assembly and use a small zip tie around the stud to hold it in the head

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I was pretty sure I was just going to pull it. Really wish I wanted to throw away a bunch of money and build it, but I just cant make myself do it.