Replacement shocks

tanarra

To smoke or not to smoke!
Jul 21, 2010
Little Rock
Purchased a 2008 GMC 2500 LMM CC/SB 4X4 with a little over 110K miles on it and it looks to be quite used. I put a couple K on it already and want to get rid of some the the quarks that I have noticed with the truck. First the shocks look to have some dirt/fluid built up on the outside both top and bottom (strange?). And with the tires at 55 PSI while not towing each bump still feels like it is jaring the @#$% out of me. So, I think maybe replacing them would be worth a shot?!?

There is also a squeeking sound occuring when I let off the gas and the transmission starts slowing me down. Not sure if that could be a shock or not but who knows. Anyhow, I would like recommendations on a good set of shocks. I dont race and hardly ever take it off the road so I dont need the high-performance ones. I was just wondering if I should replace with factory or go with something like Monroes or another brand. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

Brian

tanarra

Jul 21, 2010
Little Rock
The noise sounds like it is coming from the transfer case. Kind of a metal on metal when slowly reversing. Squealing when going forward decreasing speed no brake applied. Transfer case oil is ok. Thoughts?

tanarra

Jul 21, 2010
Little Rock
it's not the transfer case oil as it looked new and i replaced it. The squeezing gets worse when the transmission changes to lower gears (engine rev) slowing down. I dont hear it when accelerating. Strange to say the least. It is at the dealer now as "they owe me one" from doing a balance on the tires and not tightening down the lugs right. Anyhow, any ideas on the squeeking would be appreciated.

DougSmith

The metal on metal could and probably is a U Joint. Cheap to replace them.

Shocks, Bilstein all the way. KYBs are good too, but I have had zero issues with Bilsteins, everyone in my family own DMaxes, and they all have Bilsteins and they are all trouble free too. 300,000 combined miles and counting.

tanarra

Jul 21, 2010
Little Rock
Will see what the dealer does about the squeeling. As far as my driving plans vs. the shocks... mainly highway and some towing. Occasional off the road but not unless I have to.

tanarra

Jul 21, 2010
Little Rock
Squeeling was the U joints on the rear shaft. Dealers price on the U joints was insane so got some from the local auto store.

8lug

Escalade HD
Oct 16, 2009
Canada
Ha! I was about to say U-joint...strange though, my 06 has had 36" tires and power adders, drag racing and mud bogging since new and I am on original u-joints 150,000 miles. Different set up on the 08's though I think.

Shocks, I recommend Procomp MX6. If you have not owned a set you are missing out. I have taken a lot of flack for choosing these over others but everytime a buddy blows out a shock I recommend these, no one has been disappointed yet. My 2 Cents.

drcook

Jul 10, 2008
I have been running Bilsteins for the last 6 yrs. Very pleased. Got mine from Autozone. They also keep track of the warranty for you. Mine got a little soft after 6 years of driving, sitting and towing a travel trailer. Called up Autozone, they looked them up, said they will be here next Tues, bring the old shocks in. You can say I am pleased with both the shocks and the service. Some stuff I don't get from Autozone, but the Bilsteins, yes.