remington 870 supermag reviews??

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
I'm looking into purchasing a reliable and cheap shotgun primarily for waterfowl. I've tried a nova, stoeger, extrema2 etc....and couldn't seem to find one that shouldered like the 870. Shot my buddies 870 express the other day and fell in love with it. I found a supermag 12ga for $340 but I heard they are notorious for jamming. Anyone had any troubles with shooting 3 1/2"?

Last edited:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
My family has always shot remington guns for over a 100 years and we still have everyone, they are handed down generation after generation and they still shoot just as good now as they did when my great grandfather bought um, I myself have a 870 super mag 3 1/2 turkey gun and the only trouble i have ever had is when iv shot really old sheels that have rust on the brass, it is hard to shuck the shell out after I shot but other than that they have never let me down

HiMilz

Aug 13, 2009
San Angelo, Texas
I bought one when they first came out and it jammed evertime, so I sent it back to Remington and they sent me a new one. I never have had any problems out of it. Excellent customer service on top of a good product. :thumb:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an 870 express NOT a supermag for $240 brand new. Going to shoot some skeet tomorrow and slay ducks Monday. Anyone use a Kicks High Flyer choke?

I dont know about the high flyer but the gobblin thunder kicks ass lol iv got many old smart gobblers at 70 and 80 yards I broke there necks legs wings and all but of corse luck as a part in it too but it aint all luck

fishooker

Nov 27, 2008
Florida
I shoot an 870 super mag for turkey (and ducks for now), however i never shoot the 3 1/2 out of it not really a need for it when i first bought it 3 years ago it jammed but after it was broke in it shoots good its a great turkey gun but i don't like it for a waterfowl gun. I am going to buy the supernova for duck huntin because the 870 is just too heavy you will get tired very quick holdin the 870 up

thedirtymax

Kansas Roughneck
Dec 7, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
i loved my 870 and never had a single problem out of it. i shoot an 1100 skeet b now for most of what i hunt, even ducks :D but i will never own any shotgun besides remington and browning. from my experience most of the supernovas and super black hawks that i have shot are :gay: i hate them

fishooker

Nov 27, 2008
Florida
i loved my 870 and never had a single problem out of it. i shoot an 1100 skeet b now for most of what i hunt, even ducks :D but i will never own any shotgun besides remington and browning. from my experience most of the supernovas and super black hawks that i have shot are :gay: i hate them
Care to elaborate how the supernova shot? i am pretty serious on buying one but never shot one. BTW super black hawk is a ruger pistol we are talking about shotguns here.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2008
Well the skeet shooting was pretty frustrating today. The 870 kept jamming and wouldn't eject the shell nearly every shot. You have to put both hands and body weight on the pump to shuck it out. After prob 30 times it quit acting up. Plenty of oil...weird. I've read something about polishing in the action/receiver to prevent jamming. Overall I'm satisfied considering the price.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I had a supermag when they 1st came out. Nice gun but I didn't care for the 28" barrel, I only shoot 3" shells & no barrels to interchange so I sold it.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Well I think what he was talking about is a super black eagle. They are nothing like the Nova either. Remington makes good reliable guns for cheap, but when you pay for a cheaper gun I dont care if Benelli makes it or Remington makes it, you get cheaper craftsman ship. Thats just the way it goes. This being said Jonathan if you are looking for an extended choke id check out the drake killers. The guy makes them custom depending on the actual bore of your gun. This means you have to take it to a gunsmith and have them mic it out. The 870s are notorious for having different sized bores from gun to gun, so buying an off the shelf choke tube never works that wonderfully. If I were you also Jonathan Id put a tiny bit of oil in it and just cycle the gun until you are tired. Then take it apart and clean the thing. That will solve your problems. If you cant afford a drake killer choke the next best thing IMO is a trulock. They are cheap but make outstanding chokes (they manufacture benellis factory chokes).

LBZ_Duramax

May 12, 2009
North Carolina
www.parrishfire.com
i just sold a 870 express mag with waterfowl camo brand new in the box to a guy up here for $300

Ive got this gun and love it. I have several 870 magnums and have never had a problem with them jamming. They will be a little stiff action at first but once they get broken in they are the smoothest pump gun I have shot. You got a good deal for the 870 regular and will last you forever. BTW I wouldnt hesitate do do business with Jdlover1 again, the gun was everything he made it out to be and was a good guy to deal with!!

Sep 10, 2008
Thanks Jordan for the info. Took it duck hunting this morning and it worked fine. Apparently when you buy a new shotgun from Remington now, they only come with one choke.....mine came with modified. I was going to pick up an improved cylinder this am but I guess I will wait considering your advice.

I've got a BEAUTIFUL Browning humpback A-5 I inherited from my father which is flawless and shoots amazing, zero problems. Wish I could just hunt with it but not worth taking in the swamp IMO. Damn good skeet gun though :thumb: