Reg Cab, Baby on the way

tbalz

ZF6 Shifting
May 8, 2008
Upstate NY
So....I have a baby coming in 2 months. I am realizing that the Reg cab is gonna be a pain in the A. More than likely I will be picking the little one up from daycare. I dont have an issue putting the carseat in and turning the airbag off. the issue is that we have horses and need a truck. We make drives on the weekend to pickup hay, bedding, etc. There is no way my wife and the baby are gonna fit.

We just bought a 2011 Equinox for my wife, so a new truck is out of the question.

I have only ever driven with a Std transmission and dont really want an auto.

I can get away without the Duramax now that my wife isnt showing the horses anymore.

Besides shipping the ultrarare Duramax w/ ZF6 to zip ##### what are your thoughts?

I could handle a 4dr Tacoma with the 4.0L AND 6-SPEED, but they only come with the tiny bed. I need a 6ft minimum.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
My opinion ... I think you should by from an American company. If I were to downsize I would probably go with the Chevy Colorado or GMC equivalent, then I would choose a Ford F-150.

However, you cannot beat the mileage of the Duramax. Nor can you beat the power (of course), durability, maintenance schedule, and etc. I am a reg. cab owner as well and I have two girls. It isn't bad when the youngest (8) is with me and my wife. We can't ride four, but it is a blast taking the kids out to have fun in the DMax. It would be a few years for you, but there is nothing like your child saying, "do that again, dad!" and you looking over and seeing a $hit eatin' grin on there face. The kids love the DMax!!!

It might be a little crowded, but it would work for sure, especially if its only to get hay on the weekends.:thumb:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Hell I would love to have your reg cab right now... I'll trade you my crew cab LBZ. By the time I get my welder and oxy/aced bottles in my bad 200ft of lead and 200 feet of hose my bed is packed. I need a long bed and need it now. I have been kicking around getting a 6.0 reg cab long bed 4x4 my buddy has on his lot. There are NO reg cab d-max's around here for sale.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Hell I would love to have your reg cab right now... I'll trade you my crew cab LBZ. By the time I get my welder and oxy/aced bottles in my bad 200ft of lead and 200 feet of hose my bed is packed. I need a long bed and need it now. I have been kicking around getting a 6.0 reg cab long bed 4x4 my buddy has on his lot. There are NO reg cab d-max's around here for sale.

You forgot to mention you want it because it's Blue :frog:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I dont understand why your wife and baby "Cant fit" in a regular cab:confused: My 2 1/2 year olds favorite vehicle is my regular cab because he can see everything and sit side by side with me. We also have my CC GMC her Denali and my CC superduty so needless to say the 3 of us dont usually take the regular cab but when we do it's kind of fun IMO...:)

tbalz

ZF6 Shifting
May 8, 2008
Upstate NY
The issue is that I have to shift and the infant carseats face backwards. There is no room between the shifter and the seat. So the car seat has to be in the passanger seat, which equals no room for my wife.

Once the baby gets in a forwards facing seat in 1.5-2yrs or so maybe it wont be a problem. I was hoping you guys would jump on and tell me it isnt a big deal and not to worry 2yrs will fly by. By law kids have to stay in boosters till they are 8years old.Thats crazy.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
The issue is that I have to shift and the infant carseats face backwards. There is no room between the shifter and the seat. So the car seat has to be in the passanger seat, which equals no room for my wife.

Once the baby gets in a forwards facing seat in 1.5-2yrs or so maybe it wont be a problem. I was hoping you guys would jump on and tell me it isnt a big deal and not to worry 2yrs will fly by. By law kids have to stay in boosters till they are 8years old.Thats crazy.

Honestly I think to be a responsible parent you would absolutely need to get a crew cab and place the child seats in the rear. So I propose you trade me your truck for CC and the kids and wife will have piece of mind that they will be safer. I would hate to see you at a stop light with an idiot ricer next to you and you need to show them who is boss and on your 1-2 shift you power shift a bit to hard and bump your baby in the head and it begins to cry and your wife starts yelling and crying and you say to yourself man I wish I would have traded that big block guy for his crew cab....:D I've seen it happen a million times.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Honestly I think to be a responsible parent you would absolutely need to get a crew cab and place the child seats in the rear. So I propose you trade me your truck for CC and the kids and wife will have piece of mind that they will be safer. I would hate to see you at a stop light with an idiot ricer next to you and you need to show them who is boss and on your 1-2 shift you power shift a bit to hard and bump your baby in the head and it begins to cry and your wife starts yelling and crying and you say to yourself man I wish I would have traded that big block guy for his crew cab....:D I've seen it happen a million times.
:roflmao:

It would solve both of your problems!!

dirtboy726

victim of diesel hotrodery
Mar 13, 2010
nova scotia, canada
i used to have an 05 6.0 gasser,reg cab.
i had both of my kids in it in car seats, but it was auto.
2 years will fly by.
i wouldn't get rid of my d max for anything....upgraded to an ex cab this time though.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
regular cabs and car seats are fine nothing irresposible about it. Just make sure the air bag is off and your good to go. Sounds like you've got the truck you want anyways