Rebuilt LB7 IHI Shaft Play?

GMCSLEHD

Oct 13, 2006
I have a rebuilt IHI LB7 turbo that's been sitting in my garage for 6 or 7 years that I've never used, and probably never will, so I want to get rid of.

Before I throw it on Ebay or Craigslist, I want to make sure that the shaft play is within specs. Using a tenths indicator, I am getting .003-.004" in and out, and .015-.017" up and down, depending on how hard I pull on the shaft.

Looking at the GM specs for the IHI it's .0043 for axial, and .0079 for radial. The axial is fine, but the radial is over spec. There is still .005" of clearance between the fins and sidewall at full up and down movement.

I am wondering if GM's spec for radial play is from the center, which would net .0158 total, or if it is for total play.

In searching, I see that most people say that a ball bearing turbos can have quite a bit of radial play normally.

I just don't wan't to sell someone a turbo that isn't up to snuff, so any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

cwolfley

luv'n it.
as far as the bearings i know for a fact i just had mine out the other day and rebuilt it. but as far as in and out play i had zero after rebuild but i did not measure my up and down if i guessed it was probably around .007 or so.