Rearview camera manual on switch

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Ok think I may have figured this out but need others to double check me on it. Maybe there is a write up on it but I havent found it after searching for an hour.

It appears the rear camera (in the mirror 2011) plug is located at drivers side kick panel and has 5 wires going into it. Blue and white is camera positive and negative with blue being negative and white being positive. The camera gets the 12v+ from when the shifter is put in reverse.

Now heres my thinking on the switch wiring. If I use a hot side switch (White wire) then I can just use an ignition 12v to a switch and run out and use a zener diode on OEM white wire before the added new 12v wire inline. That way it wouldnt back feed and turn on reverse lights while going forward when camera is switched on.

This should work in theory correct? I shouldnt have to touch the ground wire should I? Just wondering since all this Can Bus/GMLAN stuff really messes with me.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No. The nav unit will only switch to the rear camera display when the shifter is in reverse..

google "GM lockpick"

That will let you select the backup camera any time. And unlock DVD video in motion, nav entry in motion, etc.

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
Well that idea didnt work. When I tried to power the white wire at kick panel it didnt do anything. Its only reading like ~2.5v with meter too when in reverse. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to ground the blue wire as well so it gets a chassis ground?

Ben?

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
Well hell. Just screwed up the camera now trying to figure it. Im still not done with it yet. Its already screwed so might as well figure it out before I get another one.

I tried powering both blue and white separately and neither worked. Obviously why it blew. So on to some other ideas.

testdrive

May 28, 2013
I'm fairly sure that the GM camera is not powered with 12 volts. I believe it is a regulated 6 volts dc source.
I've used several of them and always use a small package 7806 regulator.
I may have some extras if you need one.
Are you trying turn on the video with a switch?

Last edited:

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
No. The nav unit will only switch to the rear camera display when the shifter is in reverse..

google "GM lockpick"

That will let you select the backup camera any time. And unlock DVD video in motion, nav entry in motion, etc.

Can you post a link to the one that you feel is the best ?

Also I would like to interface a trailer camera input to my NAV so I can use the trailer camera to check behind me while backing up or traveling for blind spot lane changes.

Thanks

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
I'm fairly sure that the GM camera is not powered with 12 volts. I believe it is a regulated 6 volts dc source.
I've used several of them and always use a small package 7806 regulator.
I may have some extras if you need one.
Are you trying turn on the video with a switch?

Well Goddamnit where were you two days ago?! :roflmao:

Im not sure if its 6v as its reading more around 3v if that. Dont understand why GM made these trucks so difficult. My 01 is simple to work on.

Im gonna do some more research on this to find exactly what the voltages are supposed to be and will report back when I do it. May be a week or two at this point. Anyone know where you can get an oem OR aftermarket cam that fits in tailgate handle? Just need the cam not whole assembly. If aftermarket is better pixels Im down for that as long as it fits where OEM one does.

Chris

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
This might be no help to your situation, but with aftermarket head units you ground the wire to allow the camera and DVD function to operate in drive. I have no clue how GM has theirs, but its worth a shot and a ground wont burn anything up. Good luck!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
This might be no help to your situation, but with aftermarket head units you ground the wire to allow the camera and DVD function to operate in drive. I have no clue how GM has theirs, but its worth a shot and a ground wont burn anything up. Good luck!

No...factory units get everything over GMLAN...

You can burn up plenty of things tying something to ground that shouldnt be.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
. Blue and white is camera positive and negative with blue being negative and white being positive. The camera gets the 12v+ from when the shifter is put in reverse. .

Yeah...white is VIDEO SIGNAL 'positive', not actual power to run the camera!!

If the camera still even works after you tried putting +12v on that white video signal wire, consider yourself very lucky. And/or thank the engineer who designed protection/clamping in the camera circuitry. ;)

As I said above, dark blue is the actual +12v power supply wire, its the one you want.

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
Yea well mirror is screwed. Barely works and have so night vision so thats out. Where do I get the dk blue wire from? Up in the mirror cause its not the one at the kick panel by e brake. Tried that already.

Also where do I get just the camera module and not entire tailgate handle assembly? Any aftermarket ones that are better quality that fit in there?

Thanks Ben for the info.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well Goddamnit where were you two days ago?! :roflmao:

Im not sure if its 6v as its reading more around 3v if that. Dont understand why GM made these trucks so difficult. My 01 is simple to work on.

Im gonna do some more research on this to find exactly what the voltages are supposed to be and will report back when I do it. May be a week or two at this point. Anyone know where you can get an oem OR aftermarket cam that fits in tailgate handle? Just need the cam not whole assembly. If aftermarket is better pixels Im down for that as long as it fits where OEM one does.

Chris

I have a few extra OEM camaras.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I'll post a pic of one in a few. They install into the handle plate. They have a bracket holding them with the wire and plug and braided casing over wires.