Rear mount turbo

Burbanman

Aug 31, 2008
Granville,Oh
I was thinking about this the other day could you put a rear mount turbo for a twins setup like they do on LS1's. I know there is more lag when you do a single turbo but I don't think it would be too bad in a twins setup. I think it would be nice since you wouldnt have to move anything in the engine compartment. The only problem would be getting oil down to the turbo you would probably have to run a pump to get it there. I was just wondering let me know what you think.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
MAF sensor would need to be longer, they have remote electe oil pumps iirc jegs and summit sell them sure STS sells them as well.

IMO the biggest thing would be getting the compressore discharge back up to the turbo 2.5-3" pipe

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Someday I'll do it. I contacted STS starting in 2006 and continue to today, but they tell me they aren't interested, so I'll have to learn to weld better if I want to do it.

Yeah, there will be problems doing it that way, but it will get some weight off the nose.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
If someone made a kit I think more people would buy that than the MPI kit. It would be nice to leave everything under the hood alone.

Last edited:

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Someday I'll do it. I contacted STS starting in 2006 and continue to today, but they tell me they aren't interested, so I'll have to learn to weld better if I want to do it.

Yeah, there will be problems doing it that way, but it will get some weight off the nose.

I bet Kat is Jealous now that casper has twins> wendy could use a set as well!

Rnolan

Dec 13, 2008
Lagrange, OH
I thought there was a guy on the DP named Mick with a red truck from austria(or some other country) that did a rear mount. I'm not sure if he did twins though.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Mick has his GT45 in the bed of the truck. Being fed by two prochargers last time I talked to him.

The MAF sensor would not need to be moved to the same location as the charger. You could simply plumb it into a different pipe like the intake/intercooler pipe would work real easy without to much headache and design time.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Had the STS turbo kit on my old gasser, it didnt like rain, till i moved the Air intake to the fenderwell, but other than thantand worring about the oil return pump( which never failed me) it was fine. But i like having my turbo under the hood . Especially for a daily driver.

As far as lag was concerened it wasnt bad on my gasser. Dont know bout a diesel.

Last edited: