Question: Rear end ?

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I've noticed that my rearend isn't locking up that well the passenger side will lay it down very well while the driver side is just about doing nothing it used to be equal not any more :baby: I guess it's headed south has anyone else had this problem with the stock rearend :rofl: i thought they held up better than that i never read about them going out or they keep it on the D/L :rolleyes:

After market Locker? :eek:

Stockhp

Oct 14, 2007
What would be a good replacement for it? Would a locker be ok if I wanted to put one in the front also for drag racing?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The G80 locker is great for it's design purpose, and usually gives good life in normal trucks.

Here's what it's supposed to do:

If you going low speed or stopped, and one tire starts to spin faster than the other, a little pawl engages it and it locks solid. It unlocks when your speed gets up to ~20mph. The pawl mechanism is not built very strong, and sudden engagement on asphault can bend it. For racing, you want engagement at all speeds where tire slip can occur, not just low speed. And when one tire suddenly grips on asphault, you need it to give some.

For racing a limited slip or a Torsen style will survive better. My favorite is a Torsen style, which is a high bias geared unit with no clutch to wear out. A limited slip uses a clutch, and it eventually wears out.

The Dodge version of the AAM comes with a limited slip or Torsen, don't remember which. Several guys have switched over. I have a Torsen style sitting here that I'm going to use in Casper.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
We replaced the g80 in the 04 lb7 with a torsen. It locks up good and performs well but it does not lock up as well as the g80 on un-even ground. I would not go through the trouble to switch to a torsen from a g80 if the g80 was still performing well. Now if yours is broke a torsen is the way to go for the price difference alone. RANDY'S RING & PINION is were I got mine.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Well i opened it up and and found a piece of a gear that runs on the shaft next to the pawl and it is striped out as well. Guess i found my problem :( i'll post a pic of the piece

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
So you were playing around a piece of something got broke off inside your rear? :eek:

Sorry, it was too easy. ;)

I've got a "spool" for sale to replace the spiders if the gears are still sano and it's a race truck, but not good for street applications. $375.

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
So you were playing around a piece of something got broke off inside your rear? :eek:

Sorry, it was too easy. ;)

I've got a "spool" for sale to replace the spiders if the gears are still sano and it's a race truck, but not good for street applications. $375.

:rofl:

I appreciate but it's a street truck i'll figure something out

LASTMIKE

22' truck club
Oct 23, 2008
AnyCal
i might go with a true trac. its silent in operation just like the g80. I have a lock right (mini version of a detroit locker) in a toyota pickup and is verry noisy around turns, but fun in the rain and off road. I like the fact that there are no clutches to wear out!

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Does any body have any other options with wed sites something that locks better and no clutches to wear out :baby:

redneck6123

Dec 18, 2008
Detroit makes a True Trac that his a helical gear type LSD. works really good. I think they show them on their web site.

Those lockers are pretty much indestructable, my brother when through 2 auburn lockers and the true trac is held up for 2 years so far to a hot headed 17 yr old "speed racer". I run it in my mud truck, moms 96 tahoe, dads d max, moms 04 d max... and soon to be in mine after this winter but they are top dog in my opinion.