LLY: Rear axle truss

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Does anyone have any pics of trussing a rear srw aam 11.5? I am debating on trussing mine over the winter mainly to prevent any bending and failure over time woth pulling. Probably overkill but have the time and tools to do it. Any pics would help for sure. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
If you do truss it by welding to the center section. You'll need to pre heat and post heat the cast metal.

black07

Oct 8, 2011
Pa
Used square tubing from each tube, over the pumpkin. Kinda like a A frame but not to a point. Just weld in a center section if you get what I mean.

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
Here is picture of my rear 4 link truss setup. Welding the tubes/ adding a truss is not overkill.

I welded my friends 11.5 rear end after he tore up his original one sled pulling. Twisted the axle tubes in the pumpkin.

I would also do what Mackthehack said and preheat then weld then slowly allow it to cool by adding lesser and lesser heat while it cools and we wrapped with fire blankets so it cooled completely very slowly.

Attachments

• Rear truss setup 024.jpg
    Rear truss setup 024.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Rear truss setup 025.jpg
    Rear truss setup 025.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2012-06-18_20-58-56_234.jpg
    2012-06-18_20-58-56_234.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 114

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Here is picture of my rear 4 link truss setup. Welding the tubes/ adding a truss is not overkill.

I welded my friends 11.5 rear end after he tore up his original one sled pulling. Twisted the axle tubes in the pumpkin.

I would also do what Mackthehack said and preheat then weld then slowly allow it to cool by adding lesser and lesser heat while it cools and we wrapped with fire blankets so it cooled completely very slowly.

Where did you get that truss setup from? I like how it's full width and still incorporates the leaf spring mounts. What are the thicknesses of the steel?

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
I've heard scary stories about ballistic fab. The artec looks nice too! I was looking at trying to find one with the spring mounts integrated as my fab skills are very low.

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN

That is correct. You want to talk to Toby Lavender. He will be able to make you a setup like this. The spring pads will have to be made for whatever springs you are running.

I am guessing you are running stock springs so he would want to match the angle up that you already have so that it does not change your pinion angle.

You may consider having link mounts made with it for traction bars to give a nice clean setup. Just my 2 cents.

Toby is west coast. While working with him on my project I found it was best to either call after 12:30pm his time or right at closing time at 5:30 pm his time. He usually has time to talk after his guys are gone for the day.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
^^^ X2. Speak to Toby.

Smokin how do you like that rear set up? I've wanted to do that for a while now.

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
I am very happy with it! The truck does have some rear steer. I think the main reason I even notice it is that I did not put sway bars front or rear.

I have used the truck to haul my friends pulling truck. Did a little tug a truck on concrete. I have dirt dragged it a few times at local events. I took it up to Silver Lake sand dunes and had a blast with it. It does everything I need it to do... and it finally no longer breaks front end parts!! :)

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
Here is a pic showing the rear actually going from slightly raked at normal ride height to actually slightly nose high digging out of the hole at the dirt drags.

It seems to transfer the power well to both axles.

Attachments

• Diggin Dirty.jpg
    Diggin Dirty.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 48