Rare parts VS Cognito/Fabtech Tie Rod Ends

RiPPeN

Oct 14, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Looking for someone to tell me the big difference between the two?

Is one really better than the other? Just got talked into a set of Rare Parts tie rod ends. Was originally going to go with the Fabtech ones.

Thanks

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Looking for someone to tell me the big difference between the two?

Is one really better than the other? Just got talked into a set of Rare Parts tie rod ends. Was originally going to go with the Fabtech ones.

Thanks

Rare parts or Kryptonites would be my suggestions..

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
nope. kryptonite is jsut a private labeled rare part product. almost exactly the same but cost more

Not going to argue because I only know what I have read on them but,,, my understanding is they share a common/same inner but the outer tie rod is stronger Hence not the same as the rare parts..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Nope, they are exactly the same. only difference is the rod its self and hwo the outter tie rod attaches. see the top post at this link.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377983&page=4

Again not to Argue but you are saying Exactly the same but in the same sentence contradicting yourself saying DIFFERENCE/EXCEPT,,, So they are infact differant,, correct?? Now are they $100.00 dollers different/better is the real question? IDK:confused: But I am guessing you do not think the Kryptonites are worth the extra 100?? I never ran either but have considered going with the Kryptonites once my Cognito's wear out AGAIN:(

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Again not to Argue but you are saying Exactly the same but in the same sentence contradicting yourself saying DIFFERENCE/EXCEPT,,, So they are infact differant,, correct?? Now are they $100.00 dollers different/better is the real question? IDK:confused: But I am guessing you do not think the Kryptonites are worth the extra 100?? I never ran either but have considered going with the Kryptonites once my Cognito's wear out AGAIN:(

Jason, your gettin nit picky here ;). you stated the outer tie rods are bigger. i said they are the exactly the same which they are. the only difference is the rod its self and how they attach. before you stated about the tie rod sizes, i stated the tie rods (as a whole unit as that is what we were talkin about) are PRETTY MUCH exactly the same. Now by my own terminology that means in some aspects they are the exact same and in other aspects they are not. take it for what you want but this is why i typed it the way i did. its understandable why you could think different though.

as far as them being better than cognito/fabtech. the old style yes, the brand new cognito ones that norcal nick has have yet to be proven. is the 100 bucks worth it? couldnt tell you as i have not ran either to say if the extra size in the rods is worth it. I wouldnt spend the extra $100 IMOP.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The pictures of each that I've seen shows them to be quiet a bit different in design. The Kyrptonite might be a better design but may not have as much angle movement. that's just how they appear in the pictures.

Reactions: bedrocklb7

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Jason, your gettin nit picky here ;). you stated the outer tie rods are bigger. i said they are the exactly the same which they are. the only difference is the rod its self and how they attach. before you stated about the tie rod sizes, i stated the tie rods (as a whole unit as that is what we were talkin about) are PRETTY MUCH exactly the same. Now by my own terminology that means in some aspects they are the exact same and in other aspects they are not. take it for what you want but this is why i typed it the way i did. its understandable why you could think different though.

as far as them being better than cognito/fabtech. the old style yes, the brand new cognito ones that norcal nick has have yet to be proven. is the 100 bucks worth it? couldnt tell you as i have not ran either to say if the extra size in the rods is worth it. I wouldnt spend the extra $100 IMOP.

From reading a bunch of your post here and the other site I know you stay current on suspension/steering components so I'm listen bud :hug: :) Maybe Cognito will give me a deal on there latest and greatest since I bought 3 sets of there OLD style already:rolleyes: Really not bagging on them to hard though because I beat the sh!t out of my front end components and the Cognito's have yet to fail, they just wear the inner joint out every 20-25k it seems...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
From reading a bunch of your post here and the other site I know you stay current on suspension/steering components so I'm listen bud :hug: :) Maybe Cognito will give me a deal on there latest and greatest since I bought 3 sets of there OLD style already:rolleyes: Really not bagging on them to hard though because I beat the sh!t out of my front end components and the Cognito's have yet to fail, they just wear the inner joint out every 20-25k it seems...

No problem. I know these front ends well and ive done my fair share of finding what works and doesnt. I also talk with nick at norcal truck as a friend and as to whats goin on out there in our realm of knowledge. I agree on the parts not lasting as long as they should, even under that abuse the stock inners last longer. I know nick and i talked them up alot so it was a decent blow to him having them wear out that quick. The new ones seem to be much better from what ive been told but again, real world will tell us. I still wouldnt run them due to price and availablility but im bias to the steering kit i have.<--- that goes for kryptonite as well :D.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The old style HEIM joint Cognitos were strong but wore fast. The newer style are similar to the Fabtech's but word on the street is that the Fab's last longer than the Cog's. I went with the Fab's last time around and so far so good with 30 000 hard miles on them.
Simon run's the new style Cog's and has a pile of off road and winter road miles on them on his 1 ton and they are still going strong!