Allison 5sp: Range Shift Inhibited

rawwalk

Jun 13, 2010
Brush, Co
I got this yesterday when I started back up. I am going to try and get codes tonight. However this is whats happening. When from park and put into R it slowly grabs then seems to lose movement. I can go back to park and into R again same thing. Then when going forward it will shift but it seems to take along time getting into next gear. and wont go past 3rd or 4th cant remember. When in gear it seems fine. I looked it up on here and came to a conclusion that it could be NSBU or the pressure solinoid. It was rebuilt like 10k with no problems. Im just stumped and it seems electronic. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Get some real codes with a professional scanner. Need to know exactly what was done to the trans right down to the pan. If you leave any info out no matter how trvial, I can't help you.

rawwalk

Jun 13, 2010
Brush, Co
The codes were.
P0780-- Shift Malfunction
P0781-- 1-2 Shift Malfunction
P0782-- 2-3 Shift Malfunction
P0783-- 3-4 Shift Malfunction

And there was a a TCM communication code I think, cant remember the number.

the trans was rebuilt using a transgo pump kit/shift kit. We used raybestos clutches and steels, I am running a 5 star converter. and like I said it was working great no problems untill now, and I have never changed the NSBU. I talked to Wade and I am going to switch that anyways and see. However I hope thats it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Those codes indicate a shift malfunction on every single shift. Never seen that before. I would suspect eletrical problem or TCM.

rawwalk

Jun 13, 2010
Brush, Co
Thanks for the help, that what we are suspecting with it. Because it seems to work fine when in gear. Thanks again.

StuntHeavy

Jun 26, 2010
The communication code is what I'd be looking at. Should have been a U code. Done any recent offroading, or puddle jumping? maybe driving in some real heavy rain?

Sounds like something is causing an interruption in communication between the TCM and tranny itself. Not that it needs to be said, but obviously if they cant commincate (damaged tcm, broken wires) then you are going to get a slew of other codes as a result.

Last edited: