Quietest Exhaust System???

MrUPS

Mar 18, 2009
Northwest Pa
HA HA HA Great deal of good info on here.....if you can sift through the :poke: Great thread to read on a Sunday morning. I run a silverline, its not quiet

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
IMO, theres no such thing as a "quiet" aftermarket exhaust. Some are just louder than others. You want quiet, stay stock...but where's the fun in that?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Things to consider:

Thick wall, small diameter tube emits less sound, hence large dia, thin wall emits more. Don't run larger tubing than necessary.

Quietest systems exit behind the rear bumper, aimed parallel, never down.

Baffled mufflers are far superior than flow thru (perforated glass packed), and they don't lose their sound attenuation over time.

Un-equal length reverse Y-designs do even more. If designed right, they can lower sound levels like a muffler with no actual muffler via sound cancellation effect.

You will see many of these features on OEM exhaust systems. The fact aftermarket systems never match the sound attenuation of factory systems is no accident. Companies like GM spend millions to develop exhaust systems that do not harm performance, yet are very quiet.

In reality, there is not a huge HP hit running the factory exhaust on any GM I've bought and tested, including the Dmaxes. When every tenth counts though, you trade noise for a little more power.

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Things to consider:

Baffled mufflers are far superior than flow thru (perforated glass packed), and they don't lose their sound attenuation over time.

This is what I'm looking for, but it looks like all the diesel aftermarket is spiral perforated glasspacks.

Jlarson

Jul 17, 2011
Quiet exhaust

If you put the 30 inch FTE resonator in the straight section just after the turn down from the V clamp you will be amazed how quiet it is. If you want to do more research check out a ford or dodge forum. Finding a quiet exhaust that does not harm the free flow is tough and I believe the FTE is the best answer.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Run that shit around the under carriage 3 or 4 times before dumping it out the back.... Add another muffler or 6.... should help

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
The trips on the Banks system are pretty quiet in the cab....but I heard from a buddy that when the HTT as a single lit off, it was pretty loud outside the cab.

I KNOW the Banks with an HTT S366 is more quiet inside the cab than the Diamond Eye (with the quiet front pipe) I have on Emma with a stock turbo and stock tuning. I was just not willing to spring for a Banks system for the throw down truck.

Last edited: