Quiet engine/drive thru tuning

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've had the same thing happen to me! I always shut off my vehicles in the drive thru but if any 7.3 is nearby then you're hosed either way :roflmao:

Hazing was my only concern with a tune like this. Besides using the tune in a drive thru I was hoping to utilize it on early morning start ups. I just moved into a very quiet neighborhood and I seem to be the only "noisy asshole" who has to warm up my vehicles in the morning haha. A more quiet engine while it's warming up would be splendid. During the summer mornings I don't think it would be a problem, but with these cold winter mornings I feel like it will be a balancing act between noise and haze/startablility.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I just moved into a very quiet neighborhood and I seem to be the only "noisy asshole" who has to warm up my vehicles in the morning haha. A more quiet engine while it's warming up would be splendid. During the summer mornings I don't think it would be a problem, but with these cold winter mornings I feel like it will be a balancing act between noise and haze/startablility.

I am that aashole, all my neighbors hate me.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've had the same thing happen to me! I always shut off my vehicles in the drive thru but if any 7.3 is nearby then you're hosed either way :roflmao:

Hazing was my only concern with a tune like this. Besides using the tune in a drive thru I was hoping to utilize it on early morning start ups. I just moved into a very quiet neighborhood and I seem to be the only "noisy asshole" who has to warm up my vehicles in the morning haha. A more quiet engine while it's warming up would be splendid. During the summer mornings I don't think it would be a problem, but with these cold winter mornings I feel like it will be a balancing act between noise and haze/startablility.

The set rob built had zero haze and drove amazing plus the 150 tune pulled strong...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Damn lol i start it at 5:30 everyday. Dumped short it's definitely noticeable. Thankfully my neighbors aren't too close.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I had a bit of time to mess with this tonight. Dropping down to 19mpa and 600rpm makes a very drastic change and seems to be as low as I can set it with my truck. I was even letting it idle while I was in the house to compare roughly what the neighbors hear haha. Very huge difference in the house. Even with being 5" straight-piped it toned down the exhaust drone drastically. With the engine warmed up I wasn't seeing any haze, but I could see trying to keep the engine quiet with cold temperatures will probably be far fetched. Lowering timing only seemed to make the truck haze horribly and run like crap.

My only problem is getting this in a DSP tune. For some reason I couldn't get the commanded fuel pressure below 30mpa on a DSP tune. But I ran out of tinkering time tonight.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I don't think you will be able to get it on a dsp tune. The idle rail pressure has it's own table that is only on the base tune and controls idle on all tunes.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
The non dsp tune will set the rules to play by. If it is setup right you probably will be able to have a DSP tune do that as well. I don't really see why you want the pressure that low anyway.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I found anything lower than 30 would haze with mine at a 600 idle. If I raised it back up to 680 I could drop it down, but at 600 it hazed and smelled of fuel on a 45 degree day. Turned it back to 35 and the smell went away instantly. I could always put my pilotless tune in, pull up, then switch pilot back o nand make them think I shut it off.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So I've thrown in the towel on this one. It was cool to ponder and try out, but it's looking like it'll take a lot more R&D to get anywhere that would deem successful, if it can even be done as a few of you mentioned. Always fun to try out new theories though! :eek:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
So I've thrown in the towel on this one. It was cool to ponder and try out, but it's looking like it'll take a lot more R&D to get anywhere that would deem successful, if it can even be done as a few of you mentioned. Always fun to try out new theories though! :eek:
It's doable, but there is no free ride. My experience with it suggested I could quieten the engine some, but it came with costs. So that's why I chose to leave it alone.