Question on torquing ARP head studs

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
He was using a Hyd. tq wrench they are super sweet:thumb:

We use them at work all the time, The big studs ( 3.5" x 12" ) are torqued to 22000 ft/lb. with moly lube. Due to the size of the wrench, it only uses 7100 of hydraulic pressure. the Enerpac tq. wrench weight is 37 pounds:D And the studs hold upwards of 1.5 million pounds of weight below them. We are supposed to check them for stretch once a month, But they never stretch.....so I don't waste my time anymore.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
We use them at work all the time, The big studs ( 3.5" x 12" ) are torqued to 22000 ft/lb. with moly lube. Due to the size of the wrench, it only uses 7100 of hydraulic pressure. the Enerpac tq. wrench weight is 37 pounds:D And the studs hold upwards of 1.5 million pounds of weight below them. We are supposed to check them for stretch once a month, But they never stretch.....so I don't waste my time anymore.

I bet you boys use some big bastards on the rigs:thumb:

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO

Like 4" drill pipe? Sounds like power tongs kinda of bite with that torque

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Like 4" drill pipe? Sounds like power tongs kinda of bite with that torque

Considerably smaller than power tongs, Just a big ass stud bolt. the head is 3,5" but the actual body is over 4" round
attachment.php

Attachments

• ultraslim_240.jpg
    ultraslim_240.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 102

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Considerably smaller than power tongs, Just a big ass stud bolt. the head is 3,5" but the actual body is over 4" round
attachment.php

Yea those are used for well heads, I remember we had to spin them on and use the hammer wrench and then that style of wrench. I remember the guy would say "don't put that on backwards and get your d--kbeaters caught in between it and the back up"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk