Question on engine cleaning....help please..

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Hello all,
I'm a new Dmax owner, and I have always been kind of "anal" when it comes to keeping my motor(s) clean, on any vehicle I've owned, however, this is the first Dmax I've ever had, and I do NOT want to mess anything up! Anyway, I have tried searching for an answer but couldn't find one, my question is what is the best way to clean the engine, would I be safe to use the pressure washer at the local "wash and go", without using direct pressure, keeping the engine running, and covering the electronics with plastic bags as best I can? Do I need to make any special provision for the Turbo? I've always tried to keep most of the water out of my alternators, but aside from that is there anything else I should be concerned with, or special "tricks" to do? My concern is getting water where it shouldn't be, disconnecting electronics, electrical shorts, etc.. Any advise, or input, would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you kindly!
Jeff

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Module on passenger side mounted to the engine is the FICM. It should not get pressure washed. The TCM and ECM are located on driver side mounted to radiator and almost under the battery.

I would not ket the truck run as any stray water that enter the alternator will get drawn through the internals by the cooling fan and could wreak havoc on the internals.

AgmansDuramax

Diesel Fanatic!
Feb 13, 2014
Missouri
Thanks guys for the great info, I REALLY appreciate it! I just HATE having a dirty engine, and besides it looking horrible, it's harder to tell if there were any leaks, etc., so I'm just VERY picky about having a clean engine, however, I also want to do it right! Thanks again, VERY much appreciate the help!
Jeff

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
X2 on what's already been said, if you're really worried about the actual connections getting moisture in them, you could always use some dielectric grease "around" the fitting, not inside on the actual terminal, but just enough around it to seal out water. Just try not to get it in the way of the connection.

Also, I'm a fan of the GUNK...:D

Engine cleaner that is, they make 3 types, depending on your needs, a heavy degreaser, the original and an engine shine. Stuff works really well when followed up with a pressure wash:thumb: