Question: Question for ZF-6 guys

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I used a local shops freshly rebuilt one and did it on a lift so it was pretty easy but i looked into that one first

Jakej03

Sep 1, 2012
Springtown TX
I used an atv jack with a wheel on it but it was on my lift so I just let it rest on the wheel and raised the truck. The pita was the transfer case so I just strapped it up over the cross member. Make life easier and pick up a transfer case gasket when you get the new bolts (if you're doing the flywheel too) cause they're easy to tear, ask me how I know, :mad: and I live 45 miles from the closest dealer.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Well I literally just installed a new gasket weeks ago when I did the pump rub kit. If not I'll use RTV, I used that when I installed my first clutch and had no issues what so ever. I'm not sure which bolts your talking about and in what reference this has to the flywheel though??

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah it's getting a new flywheel, and it comes with new bolts. I am actually starting the install in the morning. I bought an ATV jack so me and my buddy are going to see if we can get it done tomorrow. Hopefully with the both of us we can get it maneuvered around with a less than ideal jack.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Well all done, actually went really smooth. The only issue I am having is air in the clutch fluid. I tried using the bleeder at the resevoir and it made things worse. The clutch starts engaging with the tiniest release of the pedal.

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
Pump pump and pump again.... Usually a good ol manual bleed at the reservoir works good ..... I have not had success with a mityvac at the master cyl. Manual bleeds seem to work best, I also installed a speed bleeder on mine.... That makes it a simple one man operation :)

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Do you do it just like brakes, pump pump pump and then crack the bleeder and re-tighten? This is what we did and it actually got a little worse, like it drew air into the system or something. Does the dual disc engage immediately as you start to let the pedal out or is this just because of air? Feels really strange compared to my single disc but I cannot not believe how quiet it is strapped at this point, very satisfied with that aspect.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Best way I've found to bleed the clutch hydraulics is take the cap from a can of PVC glue and cut the brush off, drill a hole in the cap and install a male air fitting with a nut on the bottom side. Turn the regulator on your compressor down to 15-25 psi (if you don't see results at 15 turn it up gradually) and hook an air hose to it. Crack the bleeder valve intermittently allowing the system to build pressure in between until you get good clutch pedal feel, then just pump away until it feels normal again.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Also after getting pedal feel DO NOT depress the pedal then crack the valve. The system is "self bleeding" so once you get some pedal feel just keep pumping but if you pressurized it with a compressor it will get you near as makes no difference to normal.

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
pump pump pump then be sure to hold the clutch pedal depressed, then have someone crack the bleeder and then immediately re-tighten after a few seconds. I dont understand how you could have made it worse ? odd....

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I do not think I have air at this point. I think a disc is sticking or I have a failed slave cylinder or issues with the master. The pedal feels perfectly normal while in neutral and pushing in and out. It is having issues when I am trying to shift into gears or after shifting while driving the pedal feels like it catches slightly half way up.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
South bend said they doubt it is a disc sticking. They agree that is likely air and said the best thing I can do is go out and "Romp" on it for a while and see if it will work out and better seat the fingers.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That's what I was kind of thinking. I guess ill drive it for a few days and see what happens. I did order a new slave it comes in tomorrow so if it still has issues later this week ill drop and replace.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
mine didn't feel right for like three days. pump pump pump every time i stopped i never touched a bleeder just added fluid after a few days she is great now. it was like if you didn't pump it up a few times before putting it in gear it wouldn't want to go. because of the air in the lines its probably not disengauging all the way. just give it a few pumps before popping her in gear it should get better, and btw if its like mine at about 400 miles it will be grabbier and louder. but i still love it, give it some time i didn't get to romp it real good for a few days i thought something was up to but it slowley got better.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Did yours feel like the pedal was catching a little on the way up? I guess air could cause it too but I'm concerned with a dsc sticking.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
your saying its hard to get into gear because a disc could be stuck and its spinning the input shaft and not letting it go in? or the pedal hangs itself? the clutch can do some pretty crazy stuff if its not bled all the way. even if the disc hangs the pressure plate should back off of it without issue which is what you feel when you let off the pedal. might be a mechanical issue in your pedal linkage i have a broken piece up in there its notorious and i bought the new one but haven't put it on yet