pushed an injector!

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
well I pushed out the rear driver injector last weekend, beating on it cause i was pissed about the poor performance at the track. I pulled it apart today and the injector looks fine. I plan to put some billet hold downs in but for right now im just gonna slam a stocker back in. Any thing else i should look for??? luckily i recovered the copper washer and oring also.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Hey sorry to hear about your luck there....i dont mean to jack your thread, rather i thought this might also add to it, if you don't mind.

i have been chasing a fuel leak for a while now and cant find the culprit, though it is getting worse i cant isolate it, and have the truck parked now cuz fuel literally runs off the back of the block after i come to a stop, however if i let the truck dry off for a day or two and fire it up and let it idle it doesn't seem to leak under idle load or when revved a bit? So here are my questions revolving this subject....

What happens when you push an injector, to the way the truck runs, anything specific, sounds, smoke etc?
How hard is it to push an injector, or at what power level does it become a concern to push an injector?
What takes place when an injector is pushed, what should a person look for?
How hard and how much fuel comes out when this happens, and does it show at idle or does there need to be a load on the engine output?
And finally, how should you put it back together so this doesn't happen again and what preferred parts/kit could be used?

Thanks if/for taking the time to answer my questions

Good luck Dracing:thumb:

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Unless u are over 800 I would not think it is a pushed injector. When u push one u will know it. It will sound like a air compressor leaking. As far as fuel leak the only leak u will c is some mist usually since the injector usually atomizes the fuel, and when mixed with the compression your leak usually becomes a sooty messy mist. Even with 200 percents I just saw a haze under the hood. You prob. Have a check ball leaking on a injector or a line that is not seated. Raise the rail pressure with efi live with it sitting still and you will find it. As far as a fix, billet hold downs are the answer. I was just curious if there was anything else to look out for???

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Unless u are over 800 I would not think it is a pushed injector. When u push one u will know it. It will sound like a air compressor leaking. As far as fuel leak the only leak u will c is some mist usually since the injector usually atomizes the fuel, and when mixed with the compression your leak usually becomes a sooty messy mist. Even with 200 percents I just saw a haze under the hood. You prob. Have a check ball leaking on a injector or a line that is not seated. Raise the rail pressure with efi live with it sitting still and you will find it. As far as a fix, billet hold downs are the answer. I was just curious if there was anything else to look out for???

Thank you for the input Sir:thumb: I still ned to get a V2 damn it.:mad:

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Hey sorry to hear about your luck there....i dont mean to jack your thread, rather i thought this might also add to it, if you don't mind.

i have been chasing a fuel leak for a while now and cant find the culprit, though it is getting worse i cant isolate it, and have the truck parked now cuz fuel literally runs off the back of the block after i come to a stop, however if i let the truck dry off for a day or two and fire it up and let it idle it doesn't seem to leak under idle load or when revved a bit? So here are my questions revolving this subject....

What happens when you push an injector, to the way the truck runs, anything specific, sounds, smoke etc?
How hard is it to push an injector, or at what power level does it become a concern to push an injector?
What takes place when an injector is pushed, what should a person look for?
How hard and how much fuel comes out when this happens, and does it show at idle or does there need to be a load on the engine output?
And finally, how should you put it back together so this doesn't happen again and what preferred parts/kit could be used?

Thanks if/for taking the time to answer my questions

Good luck Dracing:thumb:

Jason can you see if its leaking between the head and Block? Or have no idea? I had a bizarre leak on my truck after i rebuilt it, which turned out to be a loose return line, but the fuel would run down along to the top of the deck and along the bottom of the head. It looked like it was coming out if the head on the bell housing side. Took me forever to find it but it was leaking at the front rolling back, but couldn't see the fuel coming out of the line and everything looked dry.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Well, no, I can't see exactly where it's coming from. My biggest problem with this little gremlin, is the fact it only makes itself evident under load, or when driving, so the engine fan and wind push the leaking fuel everywhere. When I pop the hood after a drive I will find fuel at the front of the block under the fuel rail fitting, took it off and inspected it, re tightened, no change in leak, the fuel runs down to the back of the block, I have the FRPRV shimmed, so I took that off and inspected it, no damage, re tightened and still have the leak, there has even been fuel in the "cup" of the hp fuel line nut that attaches the line to the top of the injector on a couple of the injectors, checked them all for tight, and they are all super tight??? I finally have come to the desperation of wedging in a bunc of paper towels into various areas and plan to drive it today to see if I can't get a better idea of where this leak is coming from, I have thought the rail cracked or something like that, but I can't see one with an inspection mirror and light, so:confused:

I have a feeling it's gonna be something stupid, and I'm gonna be like, doh palm to forehead moment, it just hasn't happened yet. In all fairness, I haven't put as much effort into it as i should cuz I got a new car and been driving that and tweaking it, it has my interest at the moment and the duramax is no longer a DD, and will be more of a "project" from now on........

Engine build sooner than later:D

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I have been debating just getting a race valve, cuz they're cheap, and seeing if that cures the leak, then I would just pony up and get a stock FPRV and leave it alone till I throw a pressure code, maybe I should just order it now:( :baby:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Cocoal your symptoms sound similar to mine when i first got my truck. Turned out to be the rail pressure sensor. Tightened it a bit and hasn't leaked once since

Oops, you said pressure sensor, no, I am pretty sure the sensor is good, but I'll check it again:hug:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Well, no, I can't see exactly where it's coming from. My biggest problem with this little gremlin, is the fact it only makes itself evident under load, or when driving, so the engine fan and wind push the leaking fuel everywhere. When I pop the hood after a drive I will find fuel at the front of the block under the fuel rail fitting, took it off and inspected it, re tightened, no change in leak, the fuel runs down to the back of the block, I have the FRPRV shimmed, so I took that off and inspected it, no damage, re tightened and still have the leak, there has even been fuel in the "cup" of the hp fuel line nut that attaches the line to the top of the injector on a couple of the injectors, checked them all for tight, and they are all super tight??? I finally have come to the desperation of wedging in a bunc of paper towels into various areas and plan to drive it today to see if I can't get a better idea of where this leak is coming from, I have thought the rail cracked or something like that, but I can't see one with an inspection mirror and light, so:confused:

I have a feeling it's gonna be something stupid, and I'm gonna be like, doh palm to forehead moment, it just hasn't happened yet. In all fairness, I haven't put as much effort into it as i should cuz I got a new car and been driving that and tweaking it, it has my interest at the moment and the duramax is no longer a DD, and will be more of a "project" from now on........

Engine build sooner than later:D

You can unplug the regulator tgis maxes out fuel press. Wrap all connections with paper towel and around ur cp3. Be careful to not stick body parts around possible fuel leaks.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
You can unplug the regulator tgis maxes out fuel press. Wrap all connections with paper towel and around ur cp3. Be careful to not stick body parts around possible fuel leaks.

Cool:thumb: good tip, I know I've heard this before, didn't cross my mind to do, as I have never tried it before. I will give it a try this afternoon, thanks Simon.

Also very good tip about body parts near possible leak points, 22k+ psi would direct inject right through my skin and probably kill me:eek::eek: scary shit;)

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
well i got her fixed. it actually straightened out the holder. the bolt was fine but the arch in the holder was taken out.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Glad u got the injector figured out. Wanna see a video of a good pass, truck looks awesome.

Jason-Does the fuel happen to run out on the passenger side rear of motor by the back of head, and puddle up on ground by the starter area? And do u have the ppe cp3 high flow feed line?

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

Jason-Does the fuel happen to run out on the passenger side rear of motor by the back of head, and puddle up on ground by the starter area? And do u have the ppe cp3 high flow feed line?

@sweetdiesel-
Dood, thank you soo much for the great tip, found the leak in 5 seconds flat, new parts are here Monday and I will have it fixed Monday night:thumb::thumb::thumb:

@ Arneson-
No , actually, it was all on the drives side. It wound up being around/at the ported rail fitting. After Simeon's sweet tip i found it. I have not taken it apart yet cuz I don't have the parts available to replace anything that's damaged, and i didnt want to leave everything open, or walk away from unfinished work, however, it looks like the fuel is pushing out the threads between the fitting and rail, so in the spirit of being prepared I ordered a fully prepped rail from OFI(Oregon fuel injection) for $200, and since I (before I knew better) ported both rails, I am just going to switch the rail fittings when the new one gets here. It's always the simple stuff that stumps a simpleton:roflmao: