Help: purchased LB7 with program, how too kill it.

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
I just bought a 2002 GMC and wow is this bad boy run strong. too strong, dangerous when hauling my boat. will light tires up under a heavy load.
Can I buy a bully dog or superchips and install and go back to OEM. I get 14.5 Mpg hauling 12K behing her. Maybe will get better with OEM. also it smokes coal at a idle. I had a friend install his snap on tester and we could not go back to OEM specs.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Mileage will most likely decrease with a factory tune. I would have it flashed to stock at the dealer then put a small efi live tune or dsp5 switch on it.

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
Mileage will most likely decrease with a factory tune. I would have it flashed to stock at the dealer then put a small efi live tune or dsp5 switch on it.
what is a small efi tune or dsp switch. I new to the duramax family, diesel is in my blood.:)

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
EFI live is a way to tune the truck. Essentially you replace the factory tuning in your truck with a custom tune. DSP5 tuning allows you to put 5 EFI live tunes onto the truck and switch between them. I would suggest in your case making sure the computer has the factory tune in it then speaking to one of the vendors here about putting a single Tow/mileage tune on the truck. Will be far more efficient than a bully dog or superchip and also safer on the trans and cheaper.

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
OK, went to local GM dealer and they stated 150.00 to reflash, but must sign a work order for 1,300.00 if the computer locks up. he stated 50/50 chance it will lock up. Is this BS or not. You thoughts are all welcome.
Thanks
Kurt

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Sharp looking truck. Not sure about the chances of it locking up. I've never had issues flashing mine but I'm sure there are many more knwledgable guys here who could tell you.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
unless this truck has a lot of upgraded hard parts including a trans you are not much over 400-450 hp and if you are "smoking the tires" with a load you are not very experienced pulling a load.

i have towed in excess of 20k with a srw 3/4 ton with over 600hp and never had a problem.

in any case the dealer is full of crap. you might want to try and figure out what is done to the truck you have before you throw in a stock tune and find out that it will not run due to hard parts being changed.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
That's a good point. But with an LB7 what could be changed that it wouldn't run on a stock tune. No EGR and no vgt so unless it has some big injectors it should go fine stock??

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
When I say lighting the tires up I mean at night entrance ramps get damp in my state of florida, also dew kills us down here. one minute its dry the other it is wet. tongue weight also is a factor with My 42' long 12k loaded trailer. haul boat around and see there is a huge differance in the way they handle. All in all this thing is way to much balls, driven others unlike this beast. Engine looks fairly new also, and I think it has big injectors too, plus 30 Lbs of boost tells me more has been done. Don't get me wrong, I like the power. but it is unnessary in my field.
I will try a differant dealer. thanks guys.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
be advised, you mess with the tune that is in that truck without knowing what hard parts are in there and you are going to start having big problems getting it to run decently.

get somebody with efi live and knows what they are doing to pull the tune that is in there and detune it for you if thats what you want. and if you still want the option of the power pay them to install a dsp2/5 for you

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Take it to another dealer. That is a joke! $65 at the dealer I work at. And if it fries the module its on us, not you as our equipment would have caused it.

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
If too many changes have been made with hard parts than oh well. I will keep it that way. I will follow up down the road with more info

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
OK, went to local GM dealer and they stated 150.00 to reflash, but must sign a work order for 1,300.00 if the computer locks up. he stated 50/50 chance it will lock up. Is this BS or not. You thoughts are all welcome.
Thanks
Kurt

Run don't walk.

The reflash is a 20 minute max procedure.

I've yet to see a Tech2 fry an ECM. If they have, they are don't know what they are doing.

$1300 is a bit steep for a factory ECM. They are less than 1/2 that, and take 5 minutes to swap out.

If I Were You, I'd contact somebody like SoCalDiesel and buy a stock ECM for your truck with the factory flash on it. That way you have a spare, and if you want the big power later, you can put the fast ECM back in.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
PS - An EGT gauge and an educated foot is all it takes to run big tunes while towing. I never run anything but a race tune while towing.

Putting a block of wood under the pedal does the same as returning to stock power levels.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Contact the previous owner and ask what was done to it? Why didn't you ask prior to purchasing it?

Bertram38

Nov 21, 2012
I purchased from a used car lot in Miami called Miamidiesel.com they purchased truck threw Manheim in California and shipped to Miami. ofcourse any vehicle that goes threw manheim loses all records. I did get a Carfax report. so I have a name at least to search and request info. I will research all and get back to you guys.

I also have pillar gauges, Pyrometer and boost. I never get over 9k on pyrometer and 30Lbs of boost getting on entrance ramps. every shift is fast and smooth. wow love the Allison.

I also own a 8.1 with allison, tow same boat with it, no comparison at all between the two trucks. night and day differance. Only downfall with diesel it STINKS. LOL

Contact the previous owner and ask what was done to it? Why didn't you ask prior to purchasing it?