Pump rub?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
How common is this "Pump Rub" I have had my truck since 35,000 miles and I know its only got a little over 49,000 now but everytime I change the ATF in the transfer case it looks BRAND NEW. I have changed it 4 times since owning the truck just for added insurance. Just wondered how common this really is?

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Very common, ive seen it on truck below 100k miles too. I put one on my truck when it had 60k and it hadnt rubed through yet, but you could defenatly see where it had been.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Yikes...mines got 96,5xx probably should take a look see...probably should have done it when I did the trans lol

How much of a PITA is it?

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
How common is this "Pump Rub" I have had my truck since 35,000 miles and I know its only got a little over 49,000 now but everytime I change the ATF in the transfer case it looks BRAND NEW. I have changed it 4 times since owning the truck just for added insurance. Just wondered how common this really is?

I don't think the pump rub is directly related to oil change frequency. If the clip breaks, she rubs.

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
Now you got me worried too! Should check it out on my truck since I use the four wheel drive alot while plowing. Anyways, I see that Merchant Automomotive makes a DIY repair kit for $100.00. Might have to look into it.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I don't think its related to how much you use 4WD either. I have the Kennedy Simple Kit ready to go in with the trans swap. ;)

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I don't think the pump rub is directly related to oil change frequency. If the clip breaks, she rubs.

I didn't change the oil frequently to stop the pump rub. I changed it often to try and catch the metal flake look in the fluid so I new if I had a problem or not. When your drag racing and truck pulling with a truck your maintance schedule changes quite a bit:) My family has had at least 9 dmax's and none have failed to the pump rub. Thats why I asked. I guess I should have put, I changed it so many times to try and catch a problem before something bad happened .... Running over 110 mph in the quarter mile sometimes makes me nervous when you look at some of the parts on these trucks. lol

Last edited:

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I guess I won't have to worry about this now cause I just ordered the MA pump rub kit :D I figured what the hell, Already got the fluid out of it. Might as well rip it apart. Gives me something to do anyways lol:rofl:

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
whats rubing what? the pumhing rubbing on the transfer case side?p on the trans? or is somet

The clip breaks and allows the pump to drop and rub a hole in the back half of the case. Then either aluminum weld it or replace the back half. Or put the pump rub kit in for insurance.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Now you got me worried too! Should check it out on my truck since I use the four wheel drive alot while plowing. Anyways, I see that Merchant Automomotive makes a DIY repair kit for $100.00. Might have to look into it.

Jb weld fixed the hole in mine..... Not sure, don't think it was 100 bucks though:D

The plate I got from mike was around 30 iirc

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
this clip your talking about is it a clip that holds the main pump in the trans?or does the whole thing shift backwards to rub on the transfercase? i just had to change my t case because there was no fluid in it could this be the problem? i never saw any fluid leaking and it was check last spring and changed

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
Nope nothing to do with tranny this clip is in the back half of t-case. Google t-case pump rub there was a good write up with pics on DF I believe.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Were you on a trailer behind my LLY??

:rofl::woott:
Last time I checked your silly lilly never ran low 12's:p:hifinger::booty::hug::beer

How many guys are running the trans case brace? This has been quite for awhile. just wondering how many really fail

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Last time I checked your silly lilly never ran low 12's:p:hifinger::booty::hug::beer

How many guys are running the trans case brace? This has been quite for awhile. just wondering how many really fail

True. My Lilly retired before her true potential came out.

Just pray dreaded red never sees the track or you will have the second fastest ECLB at the track. :spit: Either way we can :beer afterwards.

We have never run a t-case brace on any truck and have never changed fluid in one. My 05 has 135k on it and it's still alive and well, as are our 3 Dmax shop trucks at work with 120k, 208k, and 215k. I just jinxed one of them, hopefully a company truck and not mine.:D

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
got this installed last night and transfer case back hangin off the tranny. The hardest part was fighting those damn C clips... They were a mother Fcker. Looked like brandnew inside as expected.