Pulling tips

Sickles1039

Mar 21, 2013
The middle of last year I started doing a 3rd gear start with not shift and my truck loved it on the track. But I dont think id do a 4th gear start. I know guys around me making 1200hp and still starting in 3rd and making the shift to 4th with a TC lock up.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
what kinda horse power or turbo set up would be the deciding factor of starting in 3rd gear? I have started in 2nd in the past, thinking of stepping up to try 3rd this year in our 2.5 class

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
My cousin start in 3rd every tome with his lmm to skip the crazy defuels hes around 620up. Works fine for him but u may need a lockup box to get it to lockup consistently. Just harder on converter

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Cool. I have an allylocker. Locks around 2000rpm, may need to reprogram higher rpm as I'm kinda thinking it maybe too soon in 3rd. Can't wait to test this!!

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
since we are all here talking about pulling. i was hoping some might have some advice for a zf6 puller? first time i pulled i had trouble getting off the line. i tried 4 lo in 4th gear. the clutch was only a week old. i have a valair sintered iron dual disc, with duramax tuner built trans tunes, and i run 33's. my last pull i started in 3rd and came off the line really smooth but was instantly tacked out. what would you guys recommend? oh, i also pull it down the track the same way i drive it down the road, no trac bars, stops, or lowering the torsion bars

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
since we are all here talking about pulling. i was hoping some might have some advice for a zf6 puller? first time i pulled i had trouble getting off the line. i tried 4 lo in 4th gear. the clutch was only a week old. i have a valair sintered iron dual disc, with duramax tuner built trans tunes, and i run 33's. my last pull i started in 3rd and came off the line really smooth but was instantly tacked out. what would you guys recommend? oh, i also pull it down the track the same way i drive it down the road, no trac bars, stops, or lowering the torsion bars

Don't pull. There will be a repair bill in the near future. But if 4th gear is what is wanted bring the rpm up to around 3K and start sliding the clutch out and keep adding throttle.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
what is going to break? I have a lift and I built the front end, but the lift made everything up front straight as can be. first time I had trouble getting off the line because I was in too high of a gear, but when I dropped a gear everything was fine since then, doesn't hop or anything. i wondered what would happen if i got more wheel speed though, if it might become a problem?

bubba2400

Jul 19, 2009
Union Grove, WI
Possible that it becomes a problem running the higher gear. The rear will try to wrap up which could cause bounce or just break a u-joint. That is also very bad for leaf springs.

If the front has braces and stuff and the CV's are straight it should last a little while but getting the pressure off of the torsion bars will ensure it lasts.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Best advice is to: Lower keys, Clamp springs front and rear if allowed, bump stops if allowed, set hitch to highest setting if allowed the rest has pretty much been said and lett'er eat :thumb:

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
shoot, now im worried to pull like the way it is. i was told that with axle stops it could break the rear end. if i put stops in how far do i adjust them down?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
right on, thanks for the tip. ive already looked into trac bars and im thinking im going to get the merchant automotive ones. where would i go about getting adjustable stops?

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
I'm no expert but I wouldn't run suspensions stops without traction bars. It's gonna make your axle dance all over the place. I would recommend clamping the spring packs tight. IIRC a couple guys have actually gone to the junk yard and got another spring to lay on top of their leafs as an additional spring in the pack to clamp tight. They ran a class that wouldn't allow traction bars.