Pulling motor and tranny

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I've always pulled either or, but this weekend I will be removing the complete power train from my truck. Wondering if anyone has pulled the motor and Allison together? I was thinking I'd drop tcase. Truck does have a 6" lift so crossmember/axle clearance is slightly better.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I pulled the whole thing including t-case. My cherry picker is a 2 ton I think. Anyway, it was heavy enough that the wheels of the cherry picker were sinking into my asphalt driveway. I had to have my neighbor come over and help me roll the damn thing into my garage...once on concrete it was a little better and I could move it around by myself.

I had the entire front clip removed, and jacked the cab up from the frame to get it all to clear coming out.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Cherry picker should do fine as I have moved complete units around with it, just never pulled one complete.

Not selling anything. Odds and ends on the motor, refresh ally, pump rub kit, and really want to clean the underside up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nope....can't be done...not possible. :rofl:

IMG_20130916_200139_575.jpg

Remove T-case beforehand. Also, drain trans pan and get the trans lines out of there.
I know many think its overkill, but I also recommend you remove the bumper so you can get the picker as close as possible to the engine (so you can use the shortest crossbar setting)
Figure the assembly is about 1200lbs. Its a lot of lift/pull/lower/reset/repeat to get the engine/trans out without damaging anything.

I'd remove the turbo heat shield, it'll give you a couple extra inches to the top. Per Alldata, you're supposed to take the lower oil pan off before pulling the engine, but thats really not practical.

Also, once you have the engine up in the air, take the pass side engine mount pad off the frame. That'll give some extra room to the side.

Last edited:

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Thanks guys. Drained all fluids and Pulled tcase today. Won't have time to play around untill the weekend now. Will be trying to pull motor and tranny out with the twins. On second thought maybe I'll just pull atmosphere off haha

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
We pull them together all the time, and have done one with the twins still mounted. 2ton picker, chain from 2nd alt hole to bolt hole on EGR mounting bracket. Center the lift hook over the turbo mouth piece. Put a heavy duty rope around the tailshaft of the trans, up through the eye above the hook on the lift. Keep it tight until it clears, then slowly let it loose.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Just an update, I will only pull motor and tranny together from now on. Very easy! Had a ratchet strap from hoist to tailhousing, couldn't have worked better!