pullin with stock trans

02dirty

Jun 21, 2009
salt lake city utah
i might do a pull this weekend but dont have a built trans wil i be ok or should i wait for a trans ?? my mods are ppe lift pump.. 4 in exhaust ..intake , efilive.boost valve.and 35' nitto mudd grapplers

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
i might do a pull this weekend but dont have a built trans wil i be ok or should i wait for a trans ?? my mods are ppe lift pump.. 4 in exhaust ..intake , efilive.boost valve.and 35' nitto mudd grapplers

I would not pull at all if I was you... many have tried and limped and some have pulled on next to stock hp and not limped but either way it would be way worth it to build the trans first

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa

Is your trans still alive with those mod's? If your running a lift pump and efilive I would of thought it would have seen its day by now:D I myself would not run it

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
If the funds are there to build it if it breaks then i would pull , gears 1-3 can hold decent power even stock , i put 450 or so down on stock trans and it would still hold till i hit 5th gear . If you dont have the funds for a build then do yourself a favor and stay home .

Last edited:

RodZZilla

I8TOKYO
Jan 6, 2007
Grinnell, IA
knagel must have a tranny gaurdian angel. He has been pushing a stock trans for quite a while. This yr he stepped up to the 4094 VVT and bigger injectors. It is a crap shoot. Pay to play.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
knagel must have a tranny gaurdian angel. He has been pushing a stock trans for quite a while. This yr he stepped up to the 4094 VVT and bigger injectors. It is a crap shoot. Pay to play.

He is still on a stock trans? :eek::eek::eek:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Im gonna pull with my stock trans with 517 horsepower I was told it would do fine but mine is the 6 speed with a shift kit and my trans has never been limped before and Im getting a suncoast stage 4 next month so im right with you i was told to have fun testing the allison since im gonna build it anyway

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Im gonna pull with my stock trans with 517 horsepower I was told it would do fine but mine is the 6 speed with a shift kit and my trans has never been limped before and Im getting a suncoast stage 4 next month so im right with you i was told to have fun testing the allison since im gonna build it anyway

some last some don't the 6 speed def. is stronger in stock form especially when coupled with a shift kit

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa

He is still on a stock trans? :eek::eek::eek:

:D:hello::spit: stock tranny all last year with about 40 hooks last year and 4 hooks so far this year. Truck has 58000 miles on it. Never limped it, ..... but I do not drag race and do not pound on it when it is in high side.

I am thinkin a different converter would help though. and when I'm that far might as well build it. Yes..... it probably will happen this summer.

To the original poster....... if you are going to a pull with the intentions of pulling your truck and not having anything break, you are hoping for alot. The first time out, anything can happen. I myself, did not worry about the trans first if you are gonna sled pull only. Get your front end done and start saving for a tranny.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
3rd gear 4lo will be fine with a stock trans....I pulled over 50 times with a stock trans...I even drove it home after each pull....:D Just dont pull on the high side of the transfer case or go past 3rd gear.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
3rd gear 4lo will be fine with a stock trans....I pulled over 50 times with a stock trans...I even drove it home after each pull....:D Just dont pull on the high side of the transfer case or go past 3rd gear.

X15

I know guys that have pulled more than one season on stock trannies and never hurt them once. Much easier than drag racing and hitting 5th.;)

Wes Doss out of Ohio has one of the strongest WS trucks around and he is still bone stock tranny.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Buddy of mine pulled 2 years on a stock tranny before he put a good one in his truck. I will add that the stock trans would not even move when he did pull it out. He got all the good out of it thats for sure.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
I say go for it! my truck has limped to many times to count but it is fine when i pull. I am not guaranteeing that it will be fine but if you wanna play sometimes you pay;)