Proformance part?

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
No. It will shit out once you are over 400hp at the wheels. It may last a while but it will die. If I did it all over again I would build my trans first.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Your trans will do fine with a 500 HP tune until you try to use all 500 of those horses at the same time.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
If I had a $2K max budget my list would look much different than yours...

The TTS converter that sledhead has for sale here $500
Allison overhaul kit/trans go $500
chop up stock exhaust $0.00
chop up stock air box $0.00
lift pump $500
single EFI tune from reputable tuner $200
gauges $200
egr delete/block, pvc reroute, pump rub plate, race valve $100

There ya go...$2K and a whole lot more power and fun than the previous list.

This is a MUCH better starting point. Dual exhaust can come later.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I ran a ~100 HP tune on a stock transmission for almost 2 years, and it was not as fun as you think. Passing people was a nightmare! I had to downshift ahead of time, because it'll limp on the shift, then hope I don't need to go faster than 80, because it will limp 5th no matter how careful I was. And I couldn't just roll into the power on the freeway, because 5th would slip and then limp. It was a blast from 0 to 80 though!

My vote: get an exhaust, lift pump, and efi live first. Then IMMEDIATELY start saving for a built trans. You WILL need it, sooner than you think.
After having a mild tune and stock trans, I would agree that a built trans and stock tune would have been more fun. It sucks to be afraid to go WOT on your truck, and to have a hard time passing.

Of course, do what makes sense to you, but that is my $0.02.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2