Pressure in coolant tank

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
I have researched the hell out of this
I had my head gaskets done before Christmas and all was good
Just recently my low coolant light came on and I decided to take it back to the garage for them to check
They replaced the rad cap and said it was defective
Since the rad cap being replaced it seems to be puking coolant down the inside of the passenger inner fender
I took it back to the garage and they are telling me it could be injector sleeve or cracked head
I'm really not overly impressed with the work l had done and them not standing behind there work
I'm really not sure what to do
Is there a way to know if it's a cracked head
The oil seems to be fine
What I have noticed is it seems to do it after it runs for about 10 minutes
Any insight on this would greatly appreciated
Thanks for reading
2001 Silverado

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Running easy for 10 min and it starts puking?

Should be fairly easy to locate using a leak down tool.

I'm going to guess lifted/ leaking cup.. Only way to really know is to find which side is leaking and pull the head and send off to be checked. Unless you want to pull all you injector cups out and reseal them then put back together and see if it fixed it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
Running easy for 10 min and it starts puking?

Should be fairly easy to locate using a leak down tool.

I'm going to guess lifted/ leaking cup.. Only way to really know is to find which side is leaking and pull the head and send off to be checked. Unless you want to pull all you injector cups out and reseal them then put back together and see if it fixed it..

Thanks for the advice
Would it be wise to replace the sleeves?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for the advice

Would it be wise to replace the sleeves?

Depending on condition when they come out..

The gm dealer we get parts from seldomly replaces them and only keep 2 in stock.. Which is a joke because they have a HUGE parts selection and service about 50 shops. Last week I replaced 3 cups on one truck and had to source from 2 dealers.

Anyways.. If they are clean and no signs of a carbon trail where they have been leaking then just clean them up and re seal them.. If the injector comes out this like then replace for sure.

545def1b62e84673851283b7894f8b1e.jpg

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
The sad part of this whole deal is I drove the truck in running when I had the head gaskets done
It was back together in three days but wouldn't rev up
Turns out some how the injectors got damaged and they ended up putting 8 new ones in on there dime
Not impressed with the work

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Good thing is you got free injectors, hopefully they used good ones

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
you could pressure up the system and let it sit. If it looses then pull some glow plugs and see if any are wet.

Also is there any condensation under the oil fill cap after its warmed up.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Sounds like a shady place. Probably got shoddy injectors too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
you could pressure up the system and let it sit. If it looses then pull some glow plugs and see if any are wet.

Also is there any condensation under the oil fill cap after its warmed up.

That was checked and no coolant in or around glow plugs
The upper rad hose stays hard after sitting overnight

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
I just want to get this issue resolved before I have bigger problems
I can't afford to keep throwing money at such an old truck

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
Just a little update on the coolant pressure in the tank
I have not added any coolant the the system yet the inside of the passenger side fender still seems to be wet
The low coolant light has been on for a week yet I still don't see the temperature gauge going above normal
Yesterday after work I drove home and when I checked the pressure on the top rad hose it was soft
Quite strange cause it's usually hard still after sitting overnight
Anyone had any experience with this

Minnesota DMAX

Jan 11, 2015
Same symptoms as mine, intermittent hard hose, low coolant light, it eventually got to wet fender well. And needless to say it got headstuds and gaskets. I drove it for about6 months like that before it started blowing out the overflow.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Passenger inner fender is wet you say? It's not leaking out of your condensation tube from your HVAC is it? As in a leaking heater core?

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
Passenger inner fender is wet you say? It's not leaking out of your condensation tube from your HVAC is it? As in a leaking heater core?

It's definitely out of the coolant tank and the top rad hose is hard
The part I don't get is the fact that even with the coolant light on it doesn't seem to run out of the heat range on the gauge
I have run it for at least a week
When I check the tank visually the coolant is to the full mark
Then when I run it or drive somewhere the light comes on and the coolant is not noticeable
If I fill the tank it eventuality pukes the coolant out till the light comes back on

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
As bad as it sucks you're gonna need to replace the head gaskets again. Make sure and get the heads checked out at the machine shop.

bad1

Jun 5, 2015
As bad as it sucks you're gonna need to replace the head gaskets again. Make sure and get the heads checked out at the machine shop.

Yeah that does suck
I thought it would be anything but that