PPE Help?

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
Ok, I've been searching the crap out of this and have been getting all the typical answers talking about RWHP and Hp at the flywheel and what tuner measures it where, so....Running my stock trans, and with my "modest" mods what setting should i be running the Xcellerator on (safely)? 90? 120? 160? Just a bunch of driving around town and cruising down the interstate. Never really tow anything heavier than a bass boat. Any help is greatly appreciated as all the different answers i've been finding are making my head spin:confused:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
90 is the safe bet, but you could run the bigger tunes so long as you don't go full throttle. Many times the bigger tunes can give you better milage than small tunes do. Also be EXTRA careful on the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-4 shifts. Some people have run level 10 and not limped, while others have run level 2's and limped the ally. It all boils down to a crap shoot and how you drive it. Also let the ALLISON FULLY adapt to the added HP before you get on it to give yourself some extra safety cushion.

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
so, on the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-4 you just back down off the throttle or what? I'm a little ignorant at the moment as I'm a little new to the diesel world

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
so, on the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-4 you just back down off the throttle or what? I'm a little ignorant at the moment as I'm a little new to the diesel world

Try to avoid letting it do the 3-4 shift under full power as that is when the C2's engage. The C1 and C2 clutches are the easiest to slip from what I've read when they shift, and these shifts are when they are being applied on a shift.

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
ok..well i rarely if ever take above about 2500 rpms here around town, so should i be ok with the shifts there?

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
So I have a question, I have about 175 miles on my PPE level 3 tune, I know I need to be careful on the 3-4, 4-5 & 5-4 shifts but what about cruising down the highway?? Are the clutches just week on shifts or am I gonna slip them hauling down the road at 80-90 mph.

p.s. all I am hauling is me....

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Enough load on the motor, yes. I've limped mine at 100+, wide open in fifth with no upshift/downshift.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Ok, I've been searching the crap out of this and have been getting all the typical answers talking about RWHP and Hp at the flywheel and what tuner measures it where, so....Running my stock trans, and with my "modest" mods what setting should i be running the Xcellerator on (safely)? 90? 120? 160? Just a bunch of driving around town and cruising down the interstate. Never really tow anything heavier than a bass boat. Any help is greatly appreciated as all the different answers i've been finding are making my head spin:confused:

Put it on 120 and don't worry about the trans. If you need the 160 be careful of the 4-5 shift.

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
ok..well i'm really never hard on it (never really go full throttle) so i guess i'll just have to choose between the 90 and 120. oh and judging by the shift feel, i think a previous owner may have possibly put a transgo kit in it or something so maybe that'll help:beer

Last edited:

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
90 is the safe bet, but you could run the bigger tunes so long as you don't go full throttle. Many times the bigger tunes can give you better milage than small tunes do. Also be EXTRA careful on the 3-4, 4-5, and 5-4 shifts. Some people have run level 10 and not limped, while others have run level 2's and limped the ally. It all boils down to a crap shoot and how you drive it. Also let the ALLISON FULLY adapt to the added HP before you get on it to give yourself some extra safety cushion.

got it set on 90. set up the quick re-learn..how long should i baby it to give the trans time to adapt? now i just gotta figure out if i want to keep it on 90 or bump it up to the 120:beer

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I usually give it 30-40 miles of driving before raping on anything, especially if the tunes you switch between are drastically different. Make sure it shifts a lot during that time though, not all freeway driving.

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Yea, but that's just you :D

:D... so what of it...... :hug:

Found out tonight that converter locked, I can do 107 or so in 4th..... turnin some mf'in r's though...... :D esapecially for stock everything.... :rofl:

Last edited:

gnar13

Jun 8, 2010
Tally,FLA
ok..hopefully the last question. the programmer recommends having a pyro to run level 3 or above, which i dont have yet. should i be safe to run the 120 without one?

whitetrash21

Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Use common sense when driving. Lugging the motor, hauling a load, or just plain haulin ass will jack the egt's up. Don't get stupid with it and you'll be fine. What I do... for now... :D

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I know plenty of people that drive on the 225 tune and never limp, but I know some others that can drive hard enough to limp the 160 tune too.....all about how you drive. If you can keep your foot out of it you will like the 225 tune better and prolly get better mileage.