PPE experience

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Wow.... where do I start with all these liable statements ???

I had NO idea there was still an issue... Did you ever come back or even call and let me know you were having an issue after the cap replacement?

First.... Jody, I want to comment about the threatening texts I received on Saturday on my personally cell phone, not very cool... Especially from a "friend" :hug:....

Second... The OEM injector cup o-rings are always orange (all that i have see). The one you have on there now are black and come in the "upper gasket kit" you purchased and we installed. so no issue there.....

Third I see the new red lock tight on the injector cups and it seems that was done also...

Forth..... Yep we took the extra step to protect your BRAND NEW INJECTORS, by back filling the lines so no moisture could get inside the nut and rust everything up. Sorry for going the extra mile for our customers....

Fifth........ why would you have not let me know there was a further issue? we stand behind our work 100% and would of taken care of ANY issue that we did incorrectly/improperly. :confused:

Last edited:

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Well now I have to chime in because come to find out after all the money I've spent at this place that they didn't even replace my Rear main seal witch was the whole reason I took the truck back in the first place! So now I've spent somewhere around 40k here for what's been done to my truck and they didn't even fix the warranty issue I took the truck back for! Has me questioning everything on the truck now, runs and drives great but what else might have been over looked. So now I'm faced with do I take it back or look else where for a good shop. I know I said good things before, but I think my RMS was banged in with a 2x4, where else where shortcuts taken?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cory (Jody's brother),

This is pure BS also.... This is starting to feel like a witch hunt :witch: (where is Kat when you need her., LOL)..

I personally saw the old leaking rear main. I gave the installer the new FRONT and REAR MAIN seals and personally held the old seals in my hand (checked them out) and watched them install the new ones... Did we give you any trouble about replacing them? NO... We were slammed busy when you brought it back, and I still got you taken care of (quickly)... I even asked you, when you picked it up, if you wanted them (the old seals)... you replied "NO".. SO I threw them away...

Again as I said before.... We stand behind our work 100% as long as the truck has not been tampered with. If you are still having an issue, please give me a call at the shop (not my cell phone, you both lost that option) and lets get it looked at/resolved :thumb:

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Despite both customer's efforts to mess things up, I still see a vendor doing everything possible to make things right. So who really looks bad here? It would seem PPE is more forgiving than I would be given what has transpired. Kudos to PPE for maintaining your cool, that couldn't have been easy after what was correctly called a "witch hunt"

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
This thread is an example of "The customer is NOT always right" and when social media gets involved a one sided story is posted and possibly ruining a good reputation a business owner has worked many years to attain. Sure the issue has possibly been rectified in this case but not always the case.

When a customer THINKS he is right and has the RIGHT to post only his side of the story, guess what customer, you truly are an A-hole, get it....

One sided threads like these make me want to:

"REACH OUT AND CHOKE THE LIVIN' SHIT OUTA SOMEONE WHO SO DESPERATELY NEEDS IT..."

So PLEASE let me oblige you because the way I see it you are in dire need............!!!

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Despite both customer's efforts to mess things up, I still see a vendor doing everything possible to make things right. So who really looks bad here? It would seem PPE is more forgiving than I would be given what has transpired. Kudos to PPE for maintaining your cool, that couldn't have been easy after what was correctly called a "witch hunt"

Well said. PPE's customer care is over the top as well. I had one of their tuners a while back and sold the truck. Sold the tuner to my cousin and was having trouble getting it to communicate with his truck, called PPE and told them what was going on and they helped get it working. Nothing but good things to say about PPE here. People like to point the finger first and figure it out later. Glad Dan is on here and showing what he is truly made of, that says a lot about his company!

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This thread is an example of "The customer is NOT always right" and when social media gets involved a one sided story is posted and possibly ruining a good reputation a business owner has worked many years to attain. Sure the issue has possibly been rectified in this case but not always the case.

When a customer THINKS he is right and has the RIGHT to post only his side of the story, guess what customer, you truly are an A-hole, get it....

One sided threads like these make me want to:

"REACH OUT AND CHOKE THE LIVIN' SHIT OUTA SOMEONE WHO SO DESPERATELY NEEDS IT..."

So PLEASE let me oblige you because the way I see it you are in dire need............!!!
Exactly. Luckily most of us are smart enough to see what was going on. I can only imagine how this thread would go on FB.

Can't make everyone happy I guess.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Let me post a bad review first before contacting the shop that did the work:rolleyes::rolleyes:. You have too much patience Dan.

Electro-02gold1ton

Super Dually
Nov 15, 2015
ABQ,NM
First off didn't want to do this but the customer service that we have received PPE has not been the greatest. I'm okay with losing the right to use your cell Dan because I texted you on 5-16 about the leak and never heard a word back!!
Here's the whole story on my truck:
Took the truck to PPE with blown motor they had the truck about 3 months. Had to put a new motor, tranny, t-case, steering box and front end upgrades. I asked that any questionable parts be replaced.
Finally get word the truck is ready on a Monday, I tell Dan I'll be there Thursday. So I drive from ABQ straight to PPE get there at 11am on Thursday. They didn't drive the truck until the morning I'm supposed to be there (WTF had the truck three months went balls deep in the thing and didn't test it) and when I show up they are fixing exhaust leaks on the truck. They cut me loose in the truck at 430ish now we get to go play in LA rush hour traffic oh joy! I drive the truck from PPE to my brothers, then to LAX to return the rental, and then to a hotel. Well the smog pump sounds like an exhaust leak so I take the truck back to PPE Friday morning before I leave, they say everything is fine until they look under the truck and find tranny fluid leaking out. They take the truck put it on the lift find it coming out of the overflow on the tranny, so take the truck off the lift and send me to Mike L's shop. They get the tranny out of the truck in less than 2 hrs and find out the input seal on the t-case was left out and it was nothing Mike L did. Well they can't get their hands on seal despite a mighty effort to try and fix the truck it doesn't happen. So right after I drop a butt load of $ on this thing I'm stuck renting another car and staying in LA threw the weekend waiting on this seal. Monday comes and they get the seal put in and cut me loose around 1pm, I have to be in Grand Junction, CO by 2pm Tuesday. They tell me vary the RPMs to seat the rings no cruise control. We make it about 100mi west of GJ get a room wake up next morning look under the truck everything is dry. Start truck go get coffee and our belongings. Come out to leave and there is a puddle of fluid under the truck! I move the truck go look at the fluid and its motor oil! Crawl under the truck find it on the bell housing! Talk to Dan he tells me to check Pcv for pressure it was good then tells me keep oil in it and get it back to us.
I get the truck home change the oil after about 900mi trip we just made and put a tune on it. Well the waste gate on the turbo is set at 21lbs so the EGTs are going threw the roof on a 225hp tune at WOT. I get the banks set around 36lbs after 4-5hrs of working on it and decided if 39 is the breaking point of the turbo hopefully it lives at 36 for a while..... Again you would think that after a brand new power train and everything you would think that PPE would of set the gate at 30psi for a built truck, yet another thing overlooked! This is what cost me a turbo.
During my first trip in the truck I also had to deal with EGR system taking a shit!
Second trip the idler pulley took a shit cost me two pulleys, tensioner, belt and a fan. Because the idler pulleys with a 120k on them weren't a questionable parts, even asked about them and the belt the day I picked it up, and was told they are fine!
Then the truck went back for the RMS, CP3, lift pump, and turbo!
Dan the seal you tried to give me was the rear seal out of the transfer case you never showed me the front or rear main seals out of the truck!! You were holding the rear t-case seal, that's the one I said I didn't want!
Every part of me wanted this truck to be right this time, and I thought that by spending more money with them that they would make it right!
But apparently since I was taken care of so "quickly" that again something else had been overlooked.
This is the third time that the truck has come out of PPE and still had some kind of issue!
Dan your quicker to get on this forum and CYA then you are to pick up the phone and reply to the txt of your customer!

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Misinformation

First off didn't want to do this but the customer service that we have received PPE has not been the greatest. I'm okay with losing the right to use your cell Dan because I texted you on 5-16 about the leak and never heard a word back!! Wow really? I guess every company has their employees give out there PERSONAL cell phone number so customers can contact them at anytime with question or issues.... Also just so you know and anybody that doesn't know me.. I don't have a smart phone and my text messages are just about always full, I never received any texts from you on or around the 16th PERIOD.
Here's the whole story on my truck:
Took the truck to PPE with blown motor they had the truck about 3 months. I dont think this time frame is true, but I will check. Had to put a new motor, tranny, t-case, steering box and front end upgrades. I asked that any questionable parts be replaced (Yes within your budget, which did limit some of the work that was done on the first trip)
Finally get word the truck is ready on a Monday, I tell Dan I'll be there Thursday. So I drive from ABQ straight to PPE get there at 11am on Thursday. They didn't drive the truck until the morning I'm supposed to be there (WTF had the truck three months went balls deep in the thing and didn't test it) and when I show up they are fixing exhaust leaks on the truck. (it was test driven once it was completed, everything was fine, I requested them to drive it again for about 30 miles as you were leaving to NM from PPE, that is when the minor exhaust leak was found and fixed) They cut me loose in the truck at 430ish now we get to go play in LA rush hour traffic oh joy! I drive the truck from PPE to my brothers, then to LAX to return the rental, and then to a hotel. Well the smog pump sounds like an exhaust leak so I take the truck back to PPE Friday morning before I leave, they say everything is fine until they look under the truck and find tranny fluid leaking out. They take the truck put it on the lift find it coming out of the overflow on the tranny, so take the truck off the lift and send me to Mike L's shop. They get the tranny out of the truck in less than 2 hrs and find out the input seal on the t-case was left out and it was nothing Mike L did. Well they can't get their hands on seal despite a mighty effort to try and fix the truck it doesn't happen.(yes this is true, we tried everything we could to get the seal replace that night) So right after I drop a butt load of $ on this thing I'm stuck renting another car and staying in LA threw the weekend waiting on this seal. (which we reimbursed you for) Monday comes and they get the seal put in and cut me loose around 1pm, I have to be in Grand Junction, CO by 2pm Tuesday. They tell me vary the RPMs to seat the rings no cruise control. We make it about 100mi west of GJ get a room wake up next morning look under the truck everything is dry. Start truck go get coffee and our belongings. Come out to leave and there is a puddle of fluid under the truck! I move the truck go look at the fluid and its motor oil! Crawl under the truck find it on the bell housing! Talk to Dan he tells me to check Pcv for pressure it was good then tells me keep oil in it and get it back to us.
I get the truck home change the oil after about 900mi trip we just made and put a tune on it. Well the waste gate on the turbo is set at 21lbs so the EGTs are going threw the roof on a 225hp tune at WOT. I get the banks set around 36lbs after 4-5hrs of working on it and decided if 39 is the breaking point of the turbo hopefully it lives at 36 for a while..... Again you would think that after a brand new power train and everything you would think that PPE would of set the gate at 30psi for a built truck, yet another thing overlooked! This is what cost me a turbo. ( How did we cost you a turbo? The truck was not tuned when it left PPE, YOU adjusted the banks bighead to way over what we recommend! 36 psi is too much...!!! the most we push the lb7's to is 30-32 psi which is very safe.)
During my first trip in the truck I also had to deal with EGR system taking a shit! (This is was not our fault, the truck had over 275,000 miles if I remember correctly and we retained the EGR as discussed)
Second trip the idler pulley took a shit cost me two pulleys, tensioner, belt and a fan. Because the idler pulleys with a 120k (how do you know they had 120 on them? the truck has 275,000 + on it) the truck had on them weren't a questionable parts, even asked about them and the belt the day I picked it up, and was told they are fine! (all test and looked fine when we inspected them, the belt did not have 275,000+ on it, it had been replaced not too long ago)
Then the truck went back for the RMS, CP3, lift pump, and turbo!
Dan the seal you tried to give me was the rear seal out of the transfer case you never showed me the front or rear main seals out of the truck!! You were holding the rear t-case seal, that's the one I said I didn't want! Yes that is correct about the t-case seal, but not about the rear and front main seal. You can even ask your tuner (Nate) about it, as he was there when we pulled the motor the 2nd time and saw them being replaced and me inspecting them)
Every part of me wanted this truck to be right this time, and I thought that by spending more money with them that they would make it right!
But apparently since I was taken care of so "quickly" that again something else had been overlooked.
This is the third time that the truck has come out of PPE and still had some kind of issue! (Any issues you had we took care of and in a timely manner, ever reimbursed you for the room/rental car, seems like pretty good service to me!!!)
Dan your quicker to get on this forum and CYA then you are to pick up the phone and reply to the txt of your customer!

You better bet your boots! When customer twist events to suite their needs at the time... Again I never got a text, phone call or even a email (as we had talked that way in the past)..... NOTHING.... You know how I found out?? On this thread..... Jody did not even mention it when I saw him last, that I can recall.

This was posted AFTER we pulled the motor the 2nd time, and replaced both the front and rear mains....

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71169

Super Dually

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Shoutout to PPE and ATP
Wanted to extend a big thanks to Dan@PPE along with his awesome mechanics! Also wanted to say thanks to Rob@ATP as well for tuning!

Here's what took place:
The Rear main seal on the truck started leaking the day after I picked the truck up from PPE, not that big a deal, I kept a close eye on the oil and put about 20k on the new motor with that leak. Finally was able to get the truck back to PPE to address the RMS leak. I also knew of another issue because Rob caught it in my data logs, the CP3 was not maintaining fuel rail pressure in high demand situations.
I spoke with Dan to get the truck in and I wanted to put a new LBZ CP3 in the valley and a lift pump, to solve the fueling issues while the motor was out having the RMS fixed.
Dropped the truck off, PPE pulled the motor and later that day Dan called me and informed me that my stock IHI was a ticking time bomb with 1/4" shaft play.
I was not expecting this and I had to pull together all my resources, because I didn't want a stock turbo anyway.
Well I found the money and was able to give the go ahead to have PPE put in a GT4088r.
I got the truck back and it was a little funky because the FPR was off because of the LBZ pump. I had the truck tuned in Cali good enough to get home to NM, but was still not happy with the way it was performing.
I picked up the phone Monday morning and called ATP for tunes they had them to me by Monday night.
Tuesday I loaded them up and went for a drive on my max effort tune! Holy cow is this truck something now it performs effortlessly, and is very quiet! Turbo is not laggy at all and the truck accelerates with ease!
This is the happiest I've been since I've owned the truck!
So again a big Thanks to PPE for great work on the truck, and to Rob@ATP for the great tunes!

Old 12-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Super Dually

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Dan, thanks for one hell of a truck!
LB7-PPE built motor, .2 over mahle pistons, Carrillo rods, PPE dampener,PPE manifolds, up pipe and down pipe. Stage 1 SOCal heads, stock turbo and injectors. PPE stage 5 transmission with converter built by Mike L. HD transfer case. PPE inter-cooler, PPE transmission cooler, PPE stage 3 tie rods, pitman arm, Idler arm.
Big Thanks to Dan and Crew at PPE for building the truck!!

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I bought a race plug from PPE like 3 years ago and now my transmission line is leaking again, just ridiculous. :(
Yeah well I had a ppe biv and now I had to build my Trans. Damn you guys.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I love when customers ask to make sure we replace everything that might break soon:roflmao: "My crystal ball says you'll need one of everything"

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've been on the wrong end of repairs that have gone very wrong. I kind of feel for the guy, but it seems they did pretty good to fix things.
This why I don't everything I can myself. Its a short list to place blame on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I've been on the wrong end of repairs that have gone very wrong. I kind of feel for the guy, but it seems they did pretty good to fix things.
This why I don't everything I can myself. Its a short list to place blame on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep Sh*t happens... its all how the issues are addressed and fixed is what REALLY matters. We have done everything in our power to make this right with him, when we were properly notified of any issues.

Last edited:

Mwaterman1

Oct 30, 2014
pittsfield maine
Hey shit happens, everyone who owns a shop or works in a shop knows that, and also knows that there's always going to be a customer that comes in the door once that you'll never want back, or wish they never showed up in the first place, people are hard to please, just fake a smile and pretend to understand how it's your fault they drive worn out junk