Power steering growl

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
For the past few months, my truck has had a whine/growl when I turn to the left. I tried flushing the power steering, but it did nothing for the noise. Being that it only does it when I turn left, it makes me wonder if it is a steering box issue. I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts. Is there any additives or fluids you've had good luck with on this type of stuff?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
My steering column/gearbox makes an awful whiny growl when I turn to the right. I can't figure out how or what to correct the issue. Sure is annoying to say the least :mad:.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
does it soud like a "hmmmmmph" sound? if so flush with some synthetic powersteerig fluid and see if that helps

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mine ate five pumps, and one Hydroboost. I put a low milage box on as well. Mine was getting to hot and burning up the pumps. I added a cooler to mine and flush the pump every ten thou. Miles with syn. Fluid. But after 50k thus plump is still starting to get a little weak after a really hard run in ky.

Xsniper

JP-8 Sniffer
Apr 4, 2012
Clarksville, TN
Mine does the same thing. Makes a growl only when I turn the wheel and the truck is not moving, mostly when backing into a parking spot. Fluid is full, might need to be flushed. I just deal with it avoid stationary turns with my big tires.

Duramax5

duramax freak
Sep 15, 2011
West Texas
Mine just does it every now n then but it's more of a grinding sound/feeling u can feel through the steering wheel:(

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Mine does it, only to the left. Usually after you turn in to the right somewhere and it will whine/growl just a sec as you turn back to the left

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Mine is doing it too. It growls real bad when it gets hot. It was 87º at the track on Thursday and my brakes wouldnt work at all. It was walking through with only 8psi of boost and it didnt want to stop too well at the end. It has a reman hydroboost from NAPA and a new PS pump from Merchant. Noticed it was more pronounced after the hydroboost was replaced.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I put a 80k mile hydroboost on mine, I haven't had anymore trouble out of it. But getting ready to put in pump number 6. I noticed they last longer if I buy a used one than If I get remans. One reman lasted 4k miles and the shaft snapped.

Chris put a cheap 30 dollar cooler on, summits where mine came from I think, it's 9x11? but it helped a bunch. Big tires is whats killing mine still.