Power inverter on switch

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
I remember seeing a thread on dp, but can't find it. I have GFIs in my b-pillars. I have the wire routed to the engine compartment and was thinking of mounting the inverter on the side of the fuse box. 750-1500w. No I'm not gonna pay for a pure sine wave inverter. I have to many good reviews on the cheapos. I'm not gonna pay $600 or more for it. I want to have a switch inside cab to control it. So I"m thinking of a relay, but don't know where to start. Any idears or pointers? I don't want to run a #8 or #6 wire to the switch, maybe #12 max.
So where do I get a relay and how to wire the terminals. The switch will have to close the circuit for the inverter. But I don't know what type of relay to get. I'm guessing just the reg. as any other I have under my hood, as long as it's rated at so many amps, etc.
But as far as which terminal on relay is for what I have no clue.
Thanks ahead. Also I'll need to run this off an ignition signal. I don't want the possibility of it running while ignition is off.
So....................
ign. 12v source to switch, switch leg to one terminal of relay, next terminal of relay to ground. Other two terminals of relay:
One is 12v direct from battery, other is load side to GFI plugs.
Am I correct?

Also any suggestions on inverters? I've heard Vector is not so great, but I've seen one survive 10 years for a laptop. So what gives?

AGain I will not spend double the money on a pure sine wave.
Thanks.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I bought a 1200 watt inverter from the local cheap auto parts store (Schucks if you're famailiar with them) and mounted it behind the back seat. I bought a snap in 110 outlet from a hardware store and mounted it in the center console. I bought an extension cord to cut up to use as the wiring for it. I routed it around the truck and tied it into the outlets inside the inverter. I then tied onto the inverter switch wires and ran them to a toggle that is right next to the outlet. I didn't bother with a relay or tieing into an ignition power source. The inverter shuts off if the batter voltage drops to 11.8 or something like that. I've left it on overnight and had no problems starting the next morning. I can try to get some pics or better instructions if you need them.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
First thing I'd do is a load test, in place of the switch, to see what amperage you do or don't need. Most likely the switch does not carry more than a 1/2 amp or so. Even a pilot running light relay would work in this case.

Also, some modified sine wave inverters will trip gfic's.

Last edited:

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
First thing I'd do is a load test, in place of the switch, to see what amperage you do or don't need. Most likely the switch does not carry more than a 1/2 amp or so. Even a pilot running light relay would work in this case.

Also, some modified sine wave inverters will trip gfic's.
That's good to know, sucks I already have them cut in. I'll have to try it out, and swap to regular duplex if need be.
I never really thought about that. I have plenty of wire and plugs, etc. The 120 and up stuff, nothing lower than 120v though.

All I will be running on this is the dell mini for efilive purposes. And occasionaly when I need 120v at truck doing some DIY project.

05lly2500hd

(903)293-6026
Feb 16, 2008
Texarkana, TX
I bought a 1200 watt inverter from the local cheap auto parts store (Schucks if you're famailiar with them) and mounted it behind the back seat. I bought a snap in 110 outlet from a hardware store and mounted it in the center console. I bought an extension cord to cut up to use as the wiring for it. I routed it around the truck and tied it into the outlets inside the inverter. I then tied onto the inverter switch wires and ran them to a toggle that is right next to the outlet. I didn't bother with a relay or tieing into an ignition power source. The inverter shuts off if the batter voltage drops to 11.8 or something like that. I've left it on overnight and had no problems starting the next morning. I can try to get some pics or better instructions if you need them.

I forgot about the switch on the inverter itself, I could just mount inverter and re-route switch wiring to utilize both switches.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I forgot about the switch on the inverter itself, I could just mount inverter and re-route switch wiring to utilize both switches.
That's exactly what I did. I left the original switch in the inverter and just tied my wires to the switch to turn it on from the driver's seat.

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
Pull out the original switch and, after cutting off the switch, connect the two wires to the 30 and 87 poles of a automotive relay. Then connect 85 to your new switch (which is 12v fed), and connect 86 to ground.

I put the latest one in the B-pillar.

garageimage.php

And the inverter behind the seat

garageimage.php

And here's a shot of the outlet in the B-pillar, too

garageimage.php