Post up your steering upgrades and how you like them

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Bump :)

I am looking at rare parts tie rods, idler arm with the pivot and pitman arm. I am just wondering if the DHD brace or the cognito braces will work with the pitman/idler arms. Thanks.

duramax05blk

Mar 16, 2012
just waiting on tonys brace to show up and i should have same setup but with kryptonie tie rods and ultimate idler arm. Tony says brace should go on / work without a problem. probably not needed with ultimate but, parts are already on there way.
I have the rare parts pitman and idler, i have pitman mounted on the box and decided not to run rare parts idler as i found a smoking deal on an ultimare idler however, my point was the rare parts look beefy and superior to old moog problem solvers. Have not seen the new moog hd series

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Bump :)

I am looking at rare parts tie rods, idler arm with the pivot and pitman arm. I am just wondering if the DHD brace or the cognito braces will work with the pitman/idler arms. Thanks.

Humm, there is something special required to use cognito braces and rare parts idler/pitman. Not real sure what the hiccup is, but it isn't insurmountable.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Humm, there is something special required to use cognito braces and rare parts idler/pitman. Not real sure what the hiccup is, but it isn't insurmountable.

Don't quote me but it could be as simple as different threads on the pit/idle arms. Cognito sells different thread nuts afaik

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
This is the setup I have 90% done, waiting on reinstalling my motor to test:

Kryptonite HD center link, tie rods
New Moog HD Pitman, Idler, Idler Pivot
Cognito PISK
Gusseted idler bracket
Red Head steering gear
GM OEM Lower intermediate steering shaft
Borgeson HD upper intermediate shaft
Hellwig big front sway bar

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Kryptonite tie rods and idler Cognito PISK stock center link launches true and strait....

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Cognito PISK
Cognito UCA's
Cognito HD endlinks
Rare parts tie rods
Super Steer IPA
Moog Pitman/idler arms
Hellwig big wig Ft sway bar (trust me, it helps with front wheel hop)
Replaced all the rubber bushings for energy suspension poly bushings at all the pivot points

This truck steers incredibly well, its very planted and reassuring in corners and launches very straight. And, considering its lifted on 35's...Im a super happy gearhead
;)

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Don't quote me but it could be as simple as different threads on the pit/idle arms. Cognito sells different thread nuts afaik
Quoted.

It comes with two different nuts for oem and aftermarket threads.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Quoted.

It comes with two different nuts for oem and aftermarket threads.

Yeah, one is standard and the ither is metric...
IIRC, the gold nut is metric and for aftermarket parts and the silver one is standard thread for OEM parts

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yeah, one is standard and the ither is metric...
IIRC, the gold nut is metric and for aftermarket parts and the silver one is standard thread for OEM parts
Pretty sure that's accurate

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
LOL that's surprising!
I can hardly remember what i had for breakfast, I put that PISKit on almost 4 years ago...

And as an update, the kits parts still look and perform as good as the day I installed it... after 45k mi, countless boosted launches and tons of cornering abuse

IMHO
It was an upgrade well worth the cost and time that made a notable improvement

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I remember reading the same thing about using the pisk kit and the rp pitman/idler arms. Some sort of washer had to be used.

MTNMAX

Sep 9, 2015
casper, wy
no more folded tie rods

Front end feels strong and no longer afraid of folding my tie rods again, no slop in steering at all.

From Dmax store. Ultimate front end package stage 3 includes,
Kryptonite solid center link
" tie rods
" idler support bracket
" xtreme idler support frame gusset
" Deathgrip idler arm
" cognito idler, pitman arm supports
" upper control arms
along with Cognito non torsion bar drop 4" lift

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
A couple of DHD braces I've installed I have had to open up the holes for the Idler/pitman arms in order to get it to fit, like the centers of the holes were drilled a smidge off. Just an FYI.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Sleeves, Cognito braces, QA1 shocks, lowered, hundreds of boosted launches, couple sled pulls, numerous passes on slicks or drag radials, lots of low 1.5x 60' around 1000hp and haven't touched the front end in 65k miles.