Possible FICM problems/ Priming Problems... Confused!

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
Ill say first: this is not your typical leaking filter housing problem most people have.
So my truck had a hard start then die a few weeks ago. I have thrown lots of parts at it already and i do not know what needs to be done next.

First thing i noticed was the prime plunger was not building up the pressure it used to. I remember it used to get pretty hard now it pumps with ease as long as you pump it. Got my self a rebuild kit. No fix. Took the filter head out and bench tested it by running the inlet hose in a 5 gallon tank and plugging the outlet. Held pressure with no leaks for 10+ minutes. I have put it back in the truck with he same 5 gal tank as supply and the outlet going to the Test port line like stock. Wont build pressure. You can hear the fuel moving around in the lines but the plunger never gets hard. Could there be a bad check valve in the cp3 causing all the fuel to return to the tank before building prime?

Truck takes about 10 seconds of cranking to start. Will run for about 30 seconds with lots of knocking then dies off. I watch my edge as desired rail pressure remains around 6kpsi. The actual starts at 0kpsi and slowly builds up over the 10 seconds of cranking until it hits about 4kpsi then starts. Immediately shoots up to 6kpsi then slowly looses pressure until it dies.

The reason for the 5gal tank was to eliminate the lift pump and fuel tank pickup as being possible problems. Acts the same running from the tank to running from a 5 gal tank.

Is there something im missing on how this system works. I DONT know what needs to be done next PLEASE HELP!

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
Brand new FPR did not fix and all rubber lines and clamps have been replaced. even tried bypassing test port. It seems to be around the cp3. Could anyone tell me how the supply/ return system works in these trucks??? I dont know if im getting air in fuel somewhere or if the cp3 is not getting a strong supply of fuel. I hope my cp3 inst bad :-(

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
How "hard" is the plunger supposed to get after several good pumps and how long should it stay hard? Its been a little while since mine was working correctly, but i remember mine used to get pretty hard and would hold it for a while too. now its just mush. It moves fuel just wont build up pressure. You can Hear the fuel just getting sent down a return line. or at least thats what it sounds like. Maybe plug the return and try and prime?

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
Have been checking for CEL frequently and havent seen anything. But finally got my first code tonight. U1800. Anyone know symptoms of this FICM CODE? Maybe my fuel lines/fiter head are fine and its a bad FICM?

Trevor

08 LMM
Jul 8, 2010
Ontario Canada
Did u check the wiring to the ficm. Good buddy's father truck did similar thing only it wouldn't start. Started digging around and there was a spot rubbed by the ficm that was the problem.

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
first thing tommorow i will mess with the wires both bale and at the ficm. Does anybody know why my prime plunger wont get stiff other than a leaky filter housing. Mine is rebuilt and i pressure checked it with fuel after rebuild and its holding its pressure. Does the cp3 have some kind of return check valve to keep the prime pressure from going to the tank? I cant figure out where all my pressure is going.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
If it knocking real hard when it does start and you have low fuel presure id lean towards a stuck open injector get it running 1 more time and check injector rates i bet you have 1 super high.

Bobo

Aug 27, 2006
If it knocking real hard when it does start and you have low fuel presure id lean towards a stuck open injector get it running 1 more time and check injector rates i bet you have 1 super high.

A stuck injector should read a negative number.

derrickmanx1

I'm that guy
Dec 30, 2010
central texas
Had a lot of air in the system. Broke the fitting on the back of my upper cp3 and pumped the heck out of the filter priming pump. Once it primed up got rail pressure on the cts.