Poor Preformance all at once on long haul

Rapter554

Dec 29, 2013
I just drove from Colorado to Missouri with a full load of horses. 2003 Duramax 6.6. with 120,000. On the drive the truck started to shift hard, loss of power, dropping fuel mileage, and much more engine noise.

I just changed the oil to Valvoline Full synthetic 5W40 could that be the cause? Or the injectors going out? Or the change of in altitude?

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am headed back tomorrow, and would like to know if its something that is going to be a problem.

Thanks

Rapter554

Dec 29, 2013
I changed fuel filter last year, or 10,000 miles ago. No lights, codes not known,

All gauges in normal range.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
X2 on changing your fuel filter before your return trip... If after that and having the same issues you are def going to want to check your injector balance rates for injectors going out!

Rapter554

Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for the help!

I changed the fuel and air filters, and it took care of the problem. Truck ran great on the way home.

Just want to say thanks for your thoughts and quick responses.

Thanks You!

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
It's always a good idea to carry an extra fuel filter (and tools to change it), especially when traveling. Never know when you're going to get a crappy load of fuel. Also, good idea to save the old filter and cut it open to see what kind of junk is in it. Could make you change where you usually fuel up....