Please help!!!!

jcole3434

Nov 17, 2013
Clinton TWP, MI
Hey guys, I am having some issues with my 04.5 LLY. A couple months ago it developed a very intermittent rough idle, a little later some minor smoking came with it, still intermittent, and only at idle in gear. Reading the balance rates off of the edge color screen, all were within 1.5, cylinder 2 was at almost 10 with the fuel rate at 11. I had a spare injector so i threw it in as well as replaced and lenthened the pigtail on #2. The truck only cleared up for a couple days and is now getting much worse. I had the "problem injector" that i removed tested and was told it is fine, which tells me injectors may not be my issue. Now, i cant leave it in gear at a light or it is clouds of smoke and barely running. As far as the balance rates go, 1,2,7 and 8 are around 8, with the front of the engine being to the positive side and the rear to the negative. The four cylinders in the center are around 1. Has anyone had a scenario like this? I am not too familiar with balance rates other than a number +/- 4 or greater says you have a problem. Thanks guys!

jcole3434

Nov 17, 2013
Clinton TWP, MI
I will add that the only time i see any issue is idling in gear, seems to still have full power while going down the road, and does not smoke going down the road. And there is 105k miles on it.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I just had a similar issue this past weekend. It was FICM rub. Check it again. Also do the ice pick trick.

jcole3434

Nov 17, 2013
Clinton TWP, MI
I just had a similar issue this past weekend. It was FICM rub. Check it again. Also do the ice pick trick.

So i found my problem. Completely by accident. Did a PM and after priming the fuel filter noticed bubbles coming from where the wire plugs in on top of the filter housing. The o-ring in there was rotted cracked and flattened. Repaired it and the truck runs prefect now. So i would imagine it was sucking air. Crazy how a little o-ring that wouldn't even be able to fit on my baby toe can cause me so much grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk