Info: Plasma cutter's

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I'm looking at purchasing a plasma cutter and would like some input on what you guys own or have used, best brand, must have features. I'm looking for one that will cut 1/4" nice and clean and maybe 3/8" or 1/2" if needed. Here's a couple I was looking at.

http://airgas.com/product/Welding-Products/Welders-&-Accessories/Plasma-Cutters/p/TDC1-4240

http://airgas.com/product/Welding-Products/Welders-&-Accessories/Plasma-Cutters/p/HYP088079

http://airgas.com/product/Welding-Products/Welders-&-Accessories/Plasma-Cutters/p/MIL907529

Thanks any input or suggestions!

UPnGONe

Jul 23, 2008
The shore
We have one from harbor freight it works good for 1/4-3/8 will cut 1/2.

Best one I have ever used is a thermal dynamics

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
You would probably be fine with any of the 3 but Ive used a Miller spectrum like you have posted and it worked great and I've heard nothing but good things about Hypertherm. I've owned a Thermal Dynamic, it was an older model but gave me trouble regularly. I'm sure the newer ones are better, but it would be my last choice.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC

I guess to be fair I should mention the Thermal I owned and had so many issues with was bought new 15 yrs ago. It was a pack 25. Small machine. Like I said im sure they are better now but lost have changed in the plasma industry in the last few years.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Same here. I'm building a smoker right now out of 1/4" plate, and am using a harbor freight job to do the cutting. Does a really nice job on 3/16" and less, but on the 1/4" it is just a matter of knocking some slag off with a chipping hammer, and a quick grind afterwards. The key I have found is to have the cutting surface clean so you can pull the torch across with a smooth fluid motion without it hanging up. The only downside I have found is you have to buy teh tips and electrodes from harbor freight. They last a long time until you start doing the thicker stuff. I can cut ALOT of 1/8-3/16 plate without changing tips.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
I have a thermal dynamics and it works great up to 3/16" and will cut 1/4" good also just have to give it a quick hit with the grinder to knock off the slag. Cant remember what size it is right now though. This one actually belongs to a friend of mine that told me to take it and put it to use after it sat in the box for two years at his house. I think if I were to buy one of my own I would get the Hypertherm as I have read alot of good things on them. I have also used a miller that was comparable in size to the thermal dynamics one that I have and it seemed to work just as well. Back in high school they had an ESAB and that was one hell of a machine but dont remember what size it was either but I dont ever remember us having any issues with it. I think as long as you stick with one of the brand names you wont have an issue. The biggest thing is to find one that you can get parts and the consumables for the easiest so that you dont have to sit around and wait on something to come in so you can finsh a project.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Buy a bigger amp machine and you will be happier in the end. We have an older 45 amp Hypertherm and it cuts 1/4" nicely, but 3/8" needs cleaned up, and 1/2" needs slag clean up and is nearly impossible to "blow through" 1/2" on 45 amp.

We thought same thing, we'll mostly just use it on 1/4", now anything thicker we find ourselves reaching for the cutting torch... We wished we would have went bigger.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Buy a larger machine than you need. I bought a Thermal Dynamics 108 last year to cut 3/4" and 1". Mine will cut up to 1 3/4" steel or 2" aluminum. This however makes cutting what I want to cut easier and cleaner. Also, make sure the consumables are easy to get in your area. Buying the cheaper, no name brands is not always the best deal in the long run.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Hypertherm seem's like the best quality unit's and are made in the USA. But for the price Thermal Dynamics seems like a good unit, but made in China!!!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Go big man. You will regret a small machine at some point. I run an essab still, i can cut 5/8 cleanly and tips are interchangeable with hypertherms of the same vintage.

Hypertherm is the best big machine, followed by esab, and then lincoln

Miller makes the best small machines out there, lincoln is a close 2nd and eastwood is offering nice machines at a good price.

Depends on how much you want to spend overall. Plasmas have gotten cheaper in the last few years.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Like others have said, "GO BIG". Seems like everyone always buys a plasma cutter that's to small. You will cut everything after having one for a while. Remember it won't cut as thick aluminium or stainless either. I have a hypertherm powermax 85. Very impressive machine. Easily cuts 1" steel.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have a 90amp Hypotherm and have cut 1 1/8" cast plate with it slowly. I have a buddy who does industrial welding and uses his arc air more often than his plasma or torches now. Just a thought depending on what you want to use it for.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I've got a thermal dynamic and my dad has an older 50. We used the crap out of my dads for years when working on elevators and it's still going strong. I've had no issues with my 52 either. My extreme thickness is 5/8", I've got 1/2" without any problems.

Just make sure you use the right tips for how you're going to use the gun. Use the chair if you're not going to run drag tips or get the drag tips if you want to go that route, other wise you'll go through tips faster.

I've used Lincoln and Hypotherm. I liked my Thermo Dynamic better but those other two where a smaller machines.

Yellowchevy

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a Miller Spectrum 875 that I picked up last summer, and I've been very satisfied with it. I don't cut anything super thick, but it cuts through 1/2" steel like it's nothing with a nice clean cut.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Right now I'm in the process of building a 2.6 pulling truck so I don't really want to spend $2500 on a plasma cutter. Looking for something more around $1000-$1300 range. I figure I can always go bigger down the road.